Hewlett Packard Class Action Suits

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

feathie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

where can i find info about a class action lawsuit??? my computer has the same issue. my email is feathie2000@yahoo.com

Firewagon

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

Amazing how similar our and others experiences with HP are! This is what I said in the HP forum:

"Welcome to the HP experience. We have two problems, one much like yours. Have an HP all-in-one that recently quit under warranty. HP fairly quickly sent us a 'refurbed' unit. Good deal, until it failed to work out of the box! Issue still not resolved.

"Other problem is with the laptop dv6700 I had built by HP on their web site for use by my granddaughter. Long story short, after months of frustration over the phone with HP techs troubleshooting this thing, it finally went to dark screen mode and will not boot beyond that - though the mouse still works, if you like watching the arrow cursor move. A self-inflicted problem occurred when my grandkid's other granddad took the machine home to try to get it to boot up. By the time he discovered it was not going to work and returned the thing, it was now 19 days out of warranty.

"Without going into further conversations with HP tech and managers, I have since mailed Mr. Hurd a personal letter describing this issue. HP, at least, received that letter on October 7, 2009; I have yet to receive as much as a courtesy reply.

"My understanding is that HP had/has problems with their dv model laptops."

This laptop had far less than a full year on the clock in use and was not cheaply configured ($1200)! Unlike you, I refused to pour more money down the drain with offers of $50 for this fix or $100 for that fix - which none would have worked, since my computer guru guy (built my current rig) told me it was probably the motherboard and HP had been having problems with many of their systems in this regard. As noted, my letter and email were never afforded the courtesy of a reply - HP probably did not want to put anything in writing that might be used in a lawsuit.

Bottom line recommendation/solution: If your paperweight is in pristine condition, as mine was, you might try to "trade" it in on a replacement unit. That was my solution. I had my guy build my wife a new machine and gave the HP to him for a couple hundred off the price - the screen and a couple other internal pieces are reusable as replacement parts. Whatever your decision, NEVER consider HP or one of its subsidiaries for ANYTHING! My guy recommended Toshiba as a replacement laptop for my granddaughter, and that's what I bought.

HP used to build quality stuff, before all their manufacturing was moved out of this country. After reading various sites regarding HP quality/service/repair, many posts dating back 6-7 years, I only regret I relied on Consumer Reports and a couple internet review sites such as CNET only, in making that decision to buy HP! Although I think competition suffers when you lose a competitor, HP needs to follow the Circuit City model! My consternation is that so many retail outlets continue to sell HP junk. They are not doing their customers any favor by carrying HP stuff - thousands have suffered and thousands more will continue to suffer the HP experience!!

Sorry about the long post - hope someone sees and heeds it before joining 'our' frustration. . . .

G

I had the same problem. HP Pavilion DV9700, video card went and now I have red lines all throught the display, then the battery wouldn't charge (apparently also do to the videocard/motherboard issue).

I've gotten fed up and started a blog to capture other people's HP Fail stories. Check it out and send your story to the link on the blog.

Also start tweeting using the hashtag #hpfail

http://hpfail.wordpress.com

G

I have a dv9000 (9812 us) that just quit. I am livid. I have less than 500 hrs on it! Yes, it used to get really hot, and so did the power adapter. I built a stnd for it to cool it better. In the middle of using it two dys ago, it shuts down, retarts, I tell it to start Windows normally and kaput! No screen, no power. If you try to start it all the blue leds flash happily at you one time and then nada.

I chatted with HP for about an hour. They directed me to reset my memory and drive. I did that about ten times. No change.

Then I chatted again and they wanted $398 to fix it. They would change the motherboard and reformat my disk! Well, I said no. I reminded them how many HPs I bought and asked for better deal. They were sorry, but could not do it. I then asked for contact at hp and was told to call the number that gets you to SAN in india at customer support. He was of no help either.

Then I read on the internet. Everyone's pavillion is crashing. We have another one and my husband uses his daily, I told him its just a matter of time, so back it up. Its a defective design, right from the power supply tothe motherboard.

Vlerie, who is livid in NJ and looking for a class action.

chickoryboy

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I have an HP dv9730us pavilion laptop. It is 20 months old and out of warranty by 8 months. It has been used very little (maybe 750 hours) and has alway been used plugged in. I heard a pop when I turned it on last week and it shut itself down. I turned it back on and it shut down again after about 3 seconds. It would continue to attempt to power up then shut down. However, periodically it would power up completely and run for 15-20 minutes before shutting down. Today it is dead. i.e. it will not attempt to power up. i.e. no lights.
I talked to HP chat a couple of times and was told there are no known issues with that model (an obvious lie) and because it is out of warranty they would only repair it for a fee. ($399). I asked to speak to a supervisor and was transferred. Same song and dance(out of warranty/will fix for a fee.) I took it to two local repair shops and found out a lot of motherboards on these models are frying due to heat issues. Based on what I am reading it appears there are a lot of heat problems with this and similar models. I was responsible for leasing pc's for my company prior to my retirement. I always choose to lease Compaq and HP because they had great products(they were separate companies). However, it appears the HP quality has gone down and they no longer back their products. I am no longer a fan of HP based on this experience and will no longer personally buy any HP product. If a class action is started count me in.

G

I am also very interested in a class action suit. My $1200 touch screen laptop only boots to a black screen 70 days after the warenty runs out. HP customer service was no help at all.

con5021

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I've had my dv6700 since Jan 2008 and while I have escaped some of the other problems, for about a year it's been running really hot. One of the vents is no longer being used apparently, so I'm assuming a fan broke. A heavy load will bring the CPU up to 90-92C and the GPU (NVIDIA GeForce 7150m/ nForce 630m) gets to 94-96C. It shuts down from the heat often. The CPU idles from 67C to 75C and the GPU 71 to 77C. That's with a cooling pad.

G

I have a HP Pavilions dv6000. My wireless went out in 2008 and I called HP asking what could be done and if it was fault. They told me to do a system restore which then wiped everything off my laptop without fixing the problem at hand.
If they knew about it I don't know why they did not fess up to it. I had to buy an external adapter which has been a pain in my butt carrying around everywhere and now my screen is on the verge of wiping out.
If anyone is still doing the class action lawsuit, please email me!
Shechinahmarie@yahoo.com

G

I also have a DV6000 ( DV6208NR) the wireless went out and so did the video. I tried the PC to TV thing and it didnt work. Right now if you tried to start up the computer, nothing shows up on the screen and the computer keeps restarting itself.

I want in on this lawsuit, I really want the $700+ I paid for this POS. Stupid me bought a new 17 laptop for school from them. Just after I buy the thing, the dv6000 just goes to crap. Gotta love it huh ?

email me emmanuelrahman@hotmail.com thanks

BTW we need everyone to complain to http://www.classcounsel.com/news/hpzd.html

They have sued HP before........and won.

chiedu

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I too made the MISTAKE of buying a DV6375US, I have had nothing but problems!

I understand that HP knew about the problems but released a patch to delay the failure till out of warranty! Read Last paragraph

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv6375us-core/1707-3121_7-32384457.html

Complain about your problem here with this lawfirm

http://www.sfmslaw.com/class-action-lawsuits/cases.php?id=300

I am interested in a lawsuit against HP, so please keep informed.

email chiedu7@yahoo.com

chiedu

+44 7956 301120

G

I want to join the course if there is class action. I bought two HP in 3 years. Both died on me. One is dv6000 which was dead after one year and half and sit in dust. I don't know there is recall for dv6000, never get notice from HP even though I registered with them.
The second one G60, which is only half of year and still under warranty, the screen is dead, but HP refuse to repair free and ask $260 fro repair. The reason is that screen HAS to be damaged by external force, which is totally insult.

Never buy HP anymore.
email: hdeng419 at yahoo.com

G

Same here. Bought two HP's/ First one crapped out on me and I went and bought another one. Stupid, I know. When my DV6324 wouldn't turn on, I called HP frantic. Their response? Well, you'll just have to pay to get it fixed. That wasn't an option since I didn't have the money to fix it. So there it sat for months just collecting dust. Come to find out today from a friend that it was part of a recall. So I called again. Their response this time? Well, it's out of warranty and you'll just have to pay to fix it. We will call you in about 5-10 minutes for your credit card number. When I questioned them about why I never got notified of a recall I basically got ignored. SERIOUS? I want in on a suit. It is this kind of lack of respect for the consumer and greed on the company's part that has caused so much trouble in this world. What happened to companies standing behind their products and not charging almost $1000 for a really heavy, hot paperweight?

G

I have exactly these problems like everyone else with my 2.5 year old Pavilion DV9700.
(AMD with NVIDIA graphics) Various hardware suddenly not recognized like cameras (that have been previously used before on it), USB ports stopped working all together, hard crashes (which I owed likely to crappy Vista) and now the screen died. It runs incredibly hot yet it gets very light use. It is out of warranty of course. I called to see if it fell under the "extended free repair" and no, my serial number does not qualify. What a surprise. HP offered their expensive repair services, but from other posts I can see the same problem just keep happening, as it seems to be a defective design all around. I can see this appears to be a universal issue with all Pavilion owners. I have had problems with this from the beginning and I am very uspet with this equipment. I say this as I type on a 7 year old Dell that has NEVER had one problem. Hp is a disaster and I would happily join a class action lawsuit.

Dawn Menegazzi
dmenegazzi@verizon.net

TriniRandy86

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Hey guys I agree, I have my HP G60 and it was no end of problems, the day after the warrenty ended it just died, and it overheats in 5-10 mins, I called them that same day and the were charging me $300 to replace the entire board, i refuse, i have a dell inspiron 9700 about 4 years old and that stays on all night without getting hot, and still going strong. I would happily go forward.

lsutton

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010

Please let me know if there is a class action lawsuit out there. My HP mother board has gone out way too soon. I will check back to this website to get response. Lulu

suncityray

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I have a Pavilion dv9700t that won't boot up and the display is unreadable.
Talked to HP and they said it would cost $398 to fix and it would have a 3 month warranty. Computer is less than 3 years old.
I would like to join a class action suit.
My email is suncityray@comcast.net

CURIOUS1555

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

I have an HP G60 and have nothing but problems. I got it last Christmas...not even a year old, but the Warranty goes by the purchase date. It overheats; the wireless doesn't work..just problem after problem. HP is of NO HELP! I have emails going back to August! I have had to restore it 3 different times. Well, yesterday, I think it had it's last laugh on me! It's dust...doesn't even recognize the drives...Unbelievable! I will never buy HP again!!! Ever, ever, ever. I have heard that there is a 2-year warranty on their Motherboards (if the problem started within the first year)..but somehow, they don't remember talking to me in that first year! I'll keep you posted. I'm calling them today with some of my backup.

darksteel

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I have an ENVY 17 with overheating, network, battery and function key issues. I've sent it back for repairs, they didn't really do anything. Their lame attempt to fix it didn't even solve the issue, and what's worse is that the case manager tried to convince me it was fixed. Don't know about Thomas but 60+C is a little high for the temperature with no load. I'm also pretty sure the battery is supposed to last more than one hour, and that 6000mAh current is bad under no load on a 5600mAh battery.

HP is terrible, and I blame myself for buying it. Then again, there are standards they should meet, clearly they aren't.

michael akers

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/
here is the settlement website they have won and will be able to settle soon.
Unfortunatelly my HP dv6000 is on there but I have p/n/ number that doesnt qualify? RD167AV
the laptop broke three times, twice under warranty and once w/o/ warranty they fixed it anyways and it failed again.
anyone who can help me NVDIA graphics with typical black screen, I will complaint, I will not by another HP ever again.
Mine was custom built with graphics card NVDIA and apparently nat all p/n numbers are part of the lawsuit.
The website allows for the owners to get settlement w/ o having to be a part of it just have to be the original owner and includes HP, Dell, and Macs to, Compaq.

If anyone has a same problem as I do email me at michael_akers_new@yahoo.com with suggestions what to do next or lets join and fight together.

HP wanted 398 dollars to fix it which means they replace it with the same board. Sorry that just doesn't do it.
I tried to reflow once and worked for couple days and followed youtube recipe and even used chims but it didnt last as I was told by the repair tech in our small town who has about 15 of them.

HELP

boatista24

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Bought two Compaq cq50s for my twin daughters, Christmas 2008. Supposedly, they were new at Bestbuy. These were horribly damaged refurbs, probably from their "geeksquad". In any case, they were refurbs, not new as advertised. This constitutes wire fraud. It is a felony.
Anyone wishing to mount a lawsuit, please e-mail me.

pryornina

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

I would happily join a class action suit against HP. I purchased an HP Touchsmart 300 that began crashing wihtin two months of purchse. Tech support used stall tactics until today when my warranhty expired, now they refuse to speak to me. HP Tech support is an American disgrace. We as American consumers cut our computing teeth on HP products, and came to trust the product line. NOT TRUE ANY MORE! Hp knowingly sells defective products and does not honor their warranty. Further, their technical support division is staffed by college students who cannot properly speak English and read from scripted trouble shooting manuals. SHAME ON HP. NEVER AGAIN!

pryornina

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
You really get to know HP when you have to deal with them concerning a third degree burn that requires skin grafting..............how generous, they want you to return the old computer and send a new one?????

Forget about any assistance in paying the medical bills!!

Hire an sttorney. Somebody has to hold these corporate giants accountable to the Americans whop pay their salaries.

pryornina

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

Please send me the link to the HP Class actio0n litigation.

ladyruth54

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
My HP Pavilion 9830US is also exhibiting ALL of the symptoms listed in the existing class action lawsuit against nvidia...wireless not always detected, lines across the screen, display problems, overheating, blue screen of death, and shutdowns. Unfortunately my model/product number was not listed on the recall. I am so pissed. If anybody starts another class action lawsuit, count me in. I have bought 2 desktop HP's, the problem Pavilion laptop, and a HP mini laptop. I will NEVER buy another HP again after this.

Daave12

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
It is always important to make a proper review of all the laptop brands and their features properly. It is always a problem when you purchase a laptop and after 2 or 3 years only it starts showing some problems.