Hewlett Packard Class Action Suits

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vale_salayandia

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I will unite against HP shitty service and defective products

I am very disappointed in HP.
My horror story
I bought a HP Laptop and extended service warranty, and in less than a year I was already experiencing problems ventilation it was heating enough that if worked more than 15 minutes straight I could get burned, by this time I TOUGHT GOOD THING I GOT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY, OH WAS I WRONG!!!!
After more than 16 calls to the 1-800-hp- invent line, with no results what so ever, and after 8 times of sending my computer back and forth to the repair center, (almost 2 months of my time) the computer was never fixed, I just have to say the problem got worse they send it back with another issue that was not even there when I send it.
By the 20th call and almost 9th time to the repair center, they decided to transfer my case to the case manager’s line. (This is standard policy to send to repair at least 5 times before you get to a case manager and it has to be for the same problem, so take that into consideration). Beware of that 2 year warranty as you will have to deal with not having a working computer, wasting your time with a representative on the line for at least 45 minutes each time you call, and having to send it back and forth (paying for shipment) until you have paid almost for another new computer. Consider paying at least $24 dollars (send/receive) each time you send the computer to repair center, taking into account their policy that adds up to 24 x 5 = 120 dollars, but it gets worse because they have always an excuse for not directing you to a case manager that can replace the defective computer. Can you imagine calling and sending your computer back and forth and no answer and 2 months of waiting, no productivity and work and reports accumulating, WORST COSTUMER SUPPORT and Warranty ever.
But of course they don’t care, is almost their policy to not care for the consumer and making us wait until you give up or the warranty expires. In addition, HP is not responsible for the time and money you are spending trying to get the issue fix. Is almost if we did not have a right to great customer experience and a proper working device, given to you by the purchasing in good faith of the warranty and what was to be a great product.
They did finally replaced my computer with their best computer of the year the ENVY 17 3D, and here comes the worst part after the 1st day of testing the computer this computer was HOT HOT HOT, so hot you could again (this is want happened to my first computer) cook breakfast over your laptop. Just after 3 days this new computer was not working properly. It was so hot that technical support explained to me after the 5th call to customer support (that the heating had caused the keyboard and mouse to malfunction) and that the heating could be fatal to the computer, therefore they recommended to send it to repair center. My problems with HP computer started since November and it’s almost May and have not completely been solved, I still have an open case.
Several consumers have reported this issue, but HP does not mind for consumer support or consumer safety, I have complained about this issue and even called corporate more than 5 times, and all that I get is nothing.
This laptop the ENVY 17 3D should be considered a health hazard, as it could burn your wrist and potentially create a fire at the work place, not to mention being an unreliable product with horrible customer support, downtime and waste of your money.
I would not recommend the computer. I do encourage for those of you that have experience this horrible situation to complain with the department of consumer affairs in your state and your local consumer protection agency, as well as HP.

cp122578

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

I have the same issues with my charger port! I have two HP DV7 series and they have multiple problems. Can someone tell me how to join the class action suit?

LarryLurpus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I bought an HP Pavillion DV7 at Costco a year and a half ago. I bought it for my wife, but when she wasn't using it for work, I wanted to play Starcraft on it. My wife said that it got so hot she couldn't keep it in her lap. It crashed several times in the first two weeks but she didn't tell me. After a couple of months I was finally able to launch a game on the machine and within 10 minutes of load on the NVIDIA card, the machine just went dark and powered off (the fans sounded like a jet engine!). By then my 60 days at Costco had past and I was screwed. $1,250 down the drain. After the machine began crashing more frequently when my wife was using Internet Explorer, I bought a 3 year old Mac and the HP became a very expensive paperweight.

LET'S SUE THESE BUGGERS FOR FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!

Please let me know about any lawsuits!

jimandlizjunk@hotmail.com

evafromca

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I would love to join in on a lawsuit as well. I have had my share of HP anguish, let's just say.

Here is my story. And let me start out saying shame on me for giving another chance yet to HP!!!!

3 years ago, I bought an HP laptop from Costco, which died within 3 months and since Costco has a 3 months return policy I was able to get another one, and another one and another..... Long story short, I had to buy and return 4 and really 4 HP laptops to Costco within 8 months that year! How is that possible???? After that fiasco I bought a Sony, which I had for 3 years, with no problems, except a design issue with the adaptor, so it was time for a new laptop.

I read lots of laptop reviews and HP once again was on my radar and I was really thinking that perhaps the ones at Costco are not the same quality and that is why I thought I might give a try to HP if I order direct from them, so I ordered the Pavilion dv6t Quad, which is one of the top of the line computers. This was in the beginning of July.

So, I got the computer on 7/19 and loved it, however after just 30 days of having it, it started freezing up daily and have to hard reboot it, as nothing else works.

I contacted HP and since I already knew the so called support center has nothing but script readers, I wanted my money back, as I knew my newest HP fiasco has just began and I have ANOTHER junk on my hand. Needless to say I was told I had 21 days to return the computer and my only choice is to send my computer in for repair, which they need 5 days for plus shipping time and all. What am I suppose to do without my computer???? I work on it, DUH!!!! I declined the offer, as I just don't want this computer as I have NO TRUST in HP! I want my money back and give this computer back and wash my hands and move as far as I can from ever touching HP, wich they will not do!

I read the HP forums and saw that there are a ton of people, who have the same issue, so at this point, I think I am going to find an attorney and file an action law suit and contact the media as well. I know there are plenty of people out there, who are in my shoes and stuck with a computer and HP will not fix it.

Oh and the last computer I had 3 years ago, the hard drive crashed within the 3 months and HP support had the nerve to tell me that they will ship a new hard drive for ME to change in my computer. What am I, a computer repair person? So I told her I will just return it to Costco. She had the nerve to tell me, that HP would prefer for me to get the computer repaired!!!!!!!!! I told her that I, as a paying customer would prefer that HP would make at least 1 out 4 computers that I owned in the 8 months period work!!!!

Oh and that 21 day return policy, I totally get that, and sure would hope a $1200 computer would work at least for 21 days!!!! Mine didnt last a lot longer, it was only 30 days!!!! I offered to pay for the 30 day of usage, as that is all HP deserves, but of course I was turned down.

I think the media should be contacted as well.....just a thought!

kirkvillian

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I continue to read horror stories of HP laptops. My HP ze2015 died after 2 years. I bought a HP Pavilion dv9740us to replace it. That also lasted two years.

The ze died from a burnt out fuze due to overheating and the dv died from the GPU over heating. I also found out that that the virtual chip burnt out too. When removing the heat sink the virtual chip had a cheap heat pad on it, the GPU had ZERO thermal paste on it, and the CPU thermal paste was gonked up and chippy. There are several websites, especially youtube.com, that show how to quick fix this problem from simply baking the GPU (temp fix) to full fix taking off the GPU and replacing the solder. Baking the GPU didn't work so I decided to bake both the GPU and virtual chip. That worked for a little bit. After more research I found they make a beef up replacement heat sink for my laptop and copper shims for the virtual chip. I found a cheap motherboard. So the cost to repair it after all said and done will be $140; which is cheaper then buying a new laptop. On a side note the hinges for dv are also a common issue with other people. I have replaced them once and the one side broke in a month. I have sense given up on replacing the hinges because in order to do so I had to replace the display screen cover as well. The display cover is another issue with pavilions and the plastic that hold the nut tend to brake with typical opening and closeting of the lid.

I did buy a new motherboard for the ze and replaced it (just a few months ago). My ze is now my back up laptop. But is basically a Compaq now (same same I know). Unfortunately, it can't support VISTA or windows 7.

It was that time to replace my wife's Dell laptop, that has lasted so long it isn't compatible with VISTA or Windows 7, I decided to stay with Dell. When it comes time for me to get a new laptop I will be looking for Dell myself.

I never knew HP had this many problems with their laptops and it seems they have never changed and never will in the future. More people should be made aware of this. I will be posting this on facebook to get the word out to people I know.

turbo1327

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
buy a toshiba (EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE) or a acer-gateway same there, or an msi gaming computer for the money some of you are spending on a crappy hp never liked hp too much crap, i work on specifically laptops, and to see a company this bad they deserve a class action lawsuit... lot of laptop manufacturers are making parts for them that go out after the warranty period. hp must be one of the companies i wouldnt recommend this brand if it was free...my first new gateway laptop was bought in 2007, a p-6860fx no problems whatsoever even when i converted it to windows 7, my second new laptop is a gateway p-7805u with the 1920x1200 resolution screen. it was bought in 2008, not a problem at all even upgrading from vista to windows 7. i bought a toshiba used still under warranty they replaced the motherboard,sent me the wrong ac adapter back customer service was very accommodating, they next day air shipped the correct one had the part on porch next morning and computer had 0 problems, after that they even said keep wrong adapter...it was also upgraded from vista to windows 7, i have repaired gateway FX series of computers even out of warranty its a 99$ fix for nvidea gaming graphics card, cheaper than the extended warranty. these laptops werent cheap under 1400$ but i figured the long life has made them well worth it. hope you all get your hp laptops fixed, i just thought id share my experience it may help some of you when you decide to purchase a new laptop.

dhattis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Hello Eva,

I am sorry about your experience. I am a consumer false advertising and defective products attorney who is currently investigating HP's deceptive practices. I would be happy to speak to you regarding your legal options regarding your purchase of the Pavilion dv6t Quad. See one of my current investigations of HP at: http://hattislaw.com/investigations/hp-false-discounts/ .

Thanks,

Daniel M. Hattis, Esq.

Imcountry

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

Mow1941

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

I have the same problem where do find the list if names of these defected laptos

Latest posts