Question Hey Friends please answer me! i have 24gb ram with two 8gb sticks and two 4gb sticks same brand but only two are in dual channel?

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Hello Friends, I'm new here and a noob but currently no errors using memtest64 any wise advice? Two 8gb sticks run in dual channel and two 4gb sticks run in single channel mind u they're the same brand Kingston HyperX and same speed 1866mhz I'm on a budget.. will two Rams in dual channel and two Rams in single channel cause issues? currently its stable no BSODs and its working fine but will two dual channel and two single channel of 24gb ram have any affects? please answer soon friends. :unsure::unsure:

Last edited:

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Sir my two of my 8GB are in dual channel and two 4gb are in single channel what will happen if i play a videogame? I have a GTX 1660 btw. please reply sir

Your 2x4 sticks have a lower bandwith than the sticks runnin dual channel. That might have a minor adverse effect on performance. If you do not need more than 16gb RAM for workstation tasks I would take the 2x4 out. At the moment you dont need more than 16gb for gaming.

Reactions: AdrianTheHumble

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Your 2x4 sticks have a lower bandwith than the sticks runnin dual channel. That might have a minor adverse effect on performance. If you do not need more than 16gb RAM for workstation tasks I would take the 2x4 out. At the moment you dont need more than 16gb for gaming.
I understand even red dead 2 used only 12 gb of ram max at 1080p, anyways sir my two 8gb rams running in dual channel and two 4gb in single channel will not cause any problems right? cuz im using alot of apps running at the same time in the background currently no crashes or anything, and thanks mrsprock and endefkt24 for replying and if its possible can u give a detailed words of wisdom for me to understand better.. thanks

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Btw why does memtest64 says ram locked at 12gb by kernel or apps?

If your disparate sticks run memtest86 with no errors, you are good.
Memtest86 is , I think, a more comprehensive test than memtest64.
It boots from a usb stick.
Put one 8gb stick and one 4gb stick in channel A and the other two in channel B and all 4 will be in dual channel mode.
Your motherboard manual will tell you which slots are channel A and B

Reactions: AdrianTheHumble

AdrianTheHumble

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Hi guys my rig is outdated and this question is obsolete, I don't know how to delete it but I'm planning to build a new rig and posted a discussion about what I'm gonna build please check out my profile and join the discussion with me thanks alot.