[SOLVED] Hi , any ideas for replacing cpu heatsink on this motherboard ( dell optiplex 9020M )

Solution
Oh, that is a pretty limited interior space. I would transplant the computer into a new chassis, if possible.

That comes with its own headaches. Front panel and power supply get tricky. And yes, the 5-pin fan headers, not too difficult to re-wire, you can simply pull the pins from a standard 4-pin fan, pull the old fan header pins and swap them. Couple of wiring diagrams out there as I recall.

You could keep the heatsink there and just slap a low profile fan on there.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Read this.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bzhrsk/dell_optiplex_9020_sff_cpu_cooler_replacement/

5lARk8Q.jpg

The case design is rather crap, regardless of what you replace it with your still just stirring the same hot air around, the case does not intake/exhaust well so pul out a drill and solve that. ;)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are a few ways. Non exactly 100% out of the box except for the Dell coolers.

Coolers with mounting mechanisms like the Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 can be mounted to them.

Dell has a backplate built into their socket, this is threaded for standard m3 screws. So you buy one of those coolers, buy some long m3 screws, some washers (large ones, or some m4/m5 washers in addition to normal m3 washers, sometimes the holes in the cooling mount are quite large) Screws can be too long, so best to order/purchase multiple lengths. This means not using the cooler's included backplate at all.

Option 2 is use any cooler you like, but you have to remove the CPU socket to do it. This means having the CPU basically resting on the bed of pins while you mount it, quite dangerous, but I have seen people do it.

Reactions: user 2000

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, that is a pretty limited interior space. I would transplant the computer into a new chassis, if possible.

That comes with its own headaches. Front panel and power supply get tricky. And yes, the 5-pin fan headers, not too difficult to re-wire, you can simply pull the pins from a standard 4-pin fan, pull the old fan header pins and swap them. Couple of wiring diagrams out there as I recall.

You could keep the heatsink there and just slap a low profile fan on there.

Reactions: user 2000
Solution