Hi-end graphics card. Which one?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebro

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hi all,

I'm kinda getting crazy here. I want to be able to play everything at 1080p with maxed settings, but I don't know what to choose...

First I thought I would go for a 7970 Ghz. but people say it's locked so I can't really OC it when I need it to... They say I should go with 670 but that has exact the same price as an 7970 Ghz. Others say these two cards are overkill and for €100 (I live in Europe) less I could go with a decent 7950 or 660 Ti which would also perform well (especially after OC'ing). Which card should I choose now???? I'm kinda a freak about extremely modded Skyrim (with texture mods + enb + foliage mods) so extra VRAM would come in handy but I want to play FC3, BF3 and other nice modern games on ultra settings as well...
I also want it to be futureproof because I'm not that rich that I can afford a PC like this every 2-3 years. So for at least 3 years at a min. of med quality.

I'll give you the site from where I buy and my budget goes up to €400. It would be better if it were €50 less so I can spend the money on other things in my PC (better CPU + cooler + mobo). Please help me choose!

http://www.alternate.be/html/configurator/builder/structure/page.html?cmd=search&componentType=required&activeClass=graphicscard&className=graphicscardPCIe&kind=pcBuilder&sort=PRICE#GrafischekaartenPCIekaartenAMDRadeonHD7000

Thanks in advance!

Littlebro.

Solution
I did see your previous question. From what ive seen, a 7970 trades blows with a GTX 680. Its a bit hard to compare things from one company to another since everything doesn't transfer over equally. I personally would go with the 7970.

AMD performs better in some games, Nvidia in others. Depends on so many different variables =/

Littlebro

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

That was before all the doubt started. I just read at that time that 7970 was better :p . Then I read some more and things just started to spin in my head :p . Sorry if it sounds a bit confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.