HiFi vs. Computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:59:23 GMT, "Tim Martin"
<tim2718281@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Any digital storage of an analog signal compresses it.
>
>That is, for any method of storing an analog signal in x bits, it is
>possible to devise a digital storage mechanism using >x bits which can be
>used to reproduce a more accurate rendition of the original analog signal.

You don't understand sampling, do you? :)

"Tim Martin" <tim2718281@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Wessel Dirksen" <wdirksen@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I used to be very reluctant to believe that
>> lossless compression would really work although rationally you know it
>> has to.
>
> Any digital storage of an analog signal compresses it.
>
> That is, for any method of storing an analog signal in x bits, it is
> possible to devise a digital storage mechanism using >x bits which can be
> used to reproduce a more accurate rendition of the original analog signal.

What if the original x bits has more resolution than the original media ?

geoff

mc

>> That is, for any method of storing an analog signal in x bits, it is
>> possible to devise a digital storage mechanism using >x bits which can be
>> used to reproduce a more accurate rendition of the original analog
>> signal.
>
> What if the original x bits has more resolution than the original media ?

If it has sufficiently more, then the digital copy will be at least as
accurate as any analog copy.

In article <l5ednQWyVKVaTwHfRVn-3g@comcast.com>, arnyk@hotpop.com says...

>Alex Rodriguez wrote:
>> In article <8i0n91pgla3bg5i5kc0khls4t42p5453nh@4ax.com>,
>> patent3@dircon.co.uk says...

>calmar@calmar.ws

>card + good
>only for
>good as a good

>music
>>>
>>> And your evidence for this is, what, exactly?
>>
>> No keyboard on the HiFI.
>
>How does the keyboard detract from music reproduction on the
>computer?

No keyboard on the HiFi makes it hard to use it for word processing. :)
----------------
Alex

Joe Kesselman wrote:
> Tim Martin wrote:
> > That is, for any method of storing an analog signal in x bits, it
> > is possible to devise a digital storage mechanism using >x bits
> > which can be used to reproduce a more accurate rendition of the
> > original analog signal.
>
> Well, yes, analog is _theoretically_ infinite precision.

No, it is not, not even theoretically.

Because for there to be infinite resolution for any arbitrary
signal, even in theory, there must be infinite signal-to-noise,
because the presence of noise limits the resolution of the signal
to a level of ambiguity defined by the level of the noise. And since
no noise requires that the system operate at a teemperature of
precisely 0 degrees K, the introduction of ANY signal into such
a system will be the equivalent of raising itsd temperature and in
and of itself introduces noise. SO that shifts the requirement to
having a finite noise floor. And a finite noise floor, even one
which is vanishngly small, requires that to achieve the infinite
dynamic range that is intrinsic of infinite resolution requires
signals of infinite amplitude, which means infinite energy.

And even if we ignore all that, we're bitten by the fact of simple
quantum uncertainty, which prevents perfect knowledge of a system.

And further, to have infinite resolution in the time domain requires
the system to have infinite bandwidth. Since bandwidth and time are
related by the fundamental time-frequency uncertainty relationship,
the only way to have infinite resolution in the time domain, i.e.,
the ability to distinguish to event separated by infinitesimal time,
the system must exist for infinite time.

And the assertion that analog has infinite time resolution means
that ANY change in level in a an infintiesimal period of time
intrinisically requires infinite energy.

So, no even THEORETICALLY, analog does not, indeed, CANNOT have
infinite resolution. To claim so is absurd.

> ... but for most practical purposes, "good enough" really is Good
> Enough. Human hearing is not infinitely accurate. Nor is any real-world
> recording medium.

Or even a theoretical one.

> Digital beats the accuracy of most analog media quite handily, given a
> suprisingly small investment. The limiting factor, actually, tends to be
> the analog hardware used to get the signal into and out of digital form.

Indeed, this is often the case.

And, as Shannon quite rigorously demonstrated over half a century ago,
any system sampling at more than twice the bandwidth of the signal
and simply having sufficient bits (dynamic range in dB/6.02 db/bit)
WILL encode that signal with perfect accuracy. Increasing the sample
rate or the bit depth WILL not result in ANY more accuracy, just a
waste
of data bandwidth.

"Stewart Pinkerton" <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message

> For example, no known music *master* tape hasa dynamic range exceeding
> 85dB, due to microphone self-noise among other factors, which may be
> represented by a fraction more than 14 bits. Hence, 16-bit sampling is
> more than adequate for any musical *replay* medium.

What have tapes and microphones got to do with it? I was talking about
analog signals, not recorded approximations of analog signals.

Tim

"Tim Martin" wrote ...
> "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote ...
>> For example, no known music *master* tape has a dynamic
>> range exceeding 85dB, due to microphone self-noise among
>> other factors, which may be represented by a fraction more
>> than 14 bits. Hence, 16-bit sampling is more than adequate
>> for any musical *replay* medium.
>
> What have tapes and microphones got to do with it? I was
> talking about analog signals, not recorded approximations
> of analog signals.

How did your "analog signals" originate? How did they then
end up as ones and zeroes on a tape or disc?

Just to confirm: Most of us are reading this newsgroup on
"Earth" in the "Solar System" of the "Milky Way" galaxy.
If you are posting from a different galaxy (or universe) we
may have to attempt some understanding of each other's laws
of physics.

<dpierce@cartchunk.org> wrote in message

> Beyond what may seem to be a philosphical discussion (it isn't:
> it's a direct and inevitable consequence of the your basic
> assertion and is proven rigorously in work cited above by Nyquist
> and Shannon), the simplem fact is that ANY system of a finite
> bandwidth and limited dynamic range can be EXACTLY represented
> by a quantized system of finite accuracy.

An analog signal, such as a bird singing in the woods, has infinite
bandwidth.

That is, there is no upper frequency f, such that any combination of waves
of frequency less than f, can exactly represent an arbitrary analog signal,
regardless of the precision of the waves.

Nyquist's Theoerem is about representation of periodic signals; most sounds
are not periodic signals.

Of course in practice we can specify a combinations of waves that make close
approximations to the bird singing; and we can get as close as we like, up
to the limits of whatever equipment we use to detect the analog signal we
are approximating.

Tim

"Tim Martin" wrote ...
> An analog signal, such as a bird singing in the woods, has infinite
> bandwidth.

Baloney. Assuming you are talking about a REAL woods and
REAL birds.

> That is, there is no upper frequency f, such that any combination
> of waves of frequency less than f, can exactly represent an arbitrary
> analog signal, regardless of the precision of the waves.

Of course there is an upper frequency limit . If you are talking
about near-field (within milimeters of the REAL bird), you have
the limitation that the sounds are produced by organic structures
with mass that can move only so fast. And in the diffuse field,
you can add to that the HF attenuation of the atmosphere in the
REAL woods.

> Nyquist's Theoerem is about representation of periodic signals;
> most sounds are not periodic signals.
>
> Of course in practice we can specify a combinations of waves
> that make close approximations to the bird singing; and we can
> get as close as we like, up to the limits of whatever equipment
> we use to detect the analog signal we are approximating.

And the problem with that is....

> How did your "analog signals" originate?

A bird singing in the woods. This generates an analog signal, detectable by
ears.

> How did they then end up as ones and zeroes on a tape or disc?

It's possible to store a digital approximation of this analog signal by a
number of methods; I don't see that it actually matters what method is
used, but I suppose the most direct method is to have some flexible device
that vibrates with the sound of the bird singing, and periodically measure
the physical position of the flexible device.

The more frequently we measure the position, and the more precisely we
measure the position, the more accurate is our digital representation of the
analog signal.

Tim

"Joe Kesselman" <keshlam-nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Digital beats the accuracy of most analog media quite handily, given a
> suprisingly small investment. The limiting factor, actually, tends to be
> the analog hardware used to get the signal into and out of digital form.

Yes. However, since digital representations of analog signals are
compressed, there is little point agonizing over "lossy" versus "lossless"
compresssion. What matters is the quality delivered.

Tim

> "Joe Kesselman" <keshlam-nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Digital beats the accuracy of most analog media quite handily, given
>> suprisingly small investment. The limiting factor, actually, tends to
>> be
>> the analog hardware used to get the signal into and out of digital
>> form.
>
> Yes. However, since digital representations of analog signals are
> compressed,

Unless you show some support for this fantastic statement,
there doesn't appear to be any point in continuing this dialog.

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:16:36 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"Tim Martin" wrote ...

>> What have tapes and microphones got to do with it? I was
>> talking about analog signals, not recorded approximations
>> of analog signals.

What exactly are "analog signals"? Going back a few decades, what
exactly were (and still are) analog computers, and what were they used
for?

>How did your "analog signals" originate? How did they then

Furthermore, what is the meaning of the word "analog"?

>end up as ones and zeroes on a tape or disc?
>
>Just to confirm: Most of us are reading this newsgroup on
>"Earth" in the "Solar System" of the "Milky Way" galaxy.
>If you are posting from a different galaxy (or universe) we
>may have to attempt some understanding of each other's laws
>of physics.

As well as other analogous laws...
-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 02:42:25 GMT, "Tim Martin"
<tim2718281@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Joe Kesselman" <keshlam-nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Digital beats the accuracy of most analog media quite handily, given a
>> suprisingly small investment. The limiting factor, actually, tends to be
>> the analog hardware used to get the signal into and out of digital form.
>
>Yes. However, since digital representations of analog signals are
>compressed, there is little point agonizing over "lossy" versus "lossless"
>compresssion.

You stated something very similar earlier in the thread (6/01/05,
6:59AM, in response to Wessel Dirksen) It appears you may be confusing
dynamic (volume or signal amplitude) compression with data compression
(as defined in computer science), but it's really hard to tell.
Please be very specific on what you mean by "digital
representations of analog signals are compressed."

>What matters is the quality delivered.

I agree with that, but I don't see how that follows from what you
wrote earlier.

>Tim

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 02:07:30 GMT, "Tim Martin"
<tim2718281@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Stewart Pinkerton" <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> For example, no known music *master* tape has a dynamic range exceeding
>> 85dB, due to microphone self-noise among other factors, which may be
>> represented by a fraction more than 14 bits. Hence, 16-bit sampling is
>> more than adequate for any musical *replay* medium.
>
>What have tapes and microphones got to do with it? I was talking about
>analog signals, not recorded approximations of analog signals.

Stop being disingenuous, you were just plain *wrong*, live with it.

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 02:42:25 GMT, "Tim Martin"
<tim2718281@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Joe Kesselman" <keshlam-nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Digital beats the accuracy of most analog media quite handily, given a
>> suprisingly small investment. The limiting factor, actually, tends to be
>> the analog hardware used to get the signal into and out of digital form.
>
>Yes. However, since digital representations of analog signals are
>compressed, there is little point agonizing over "lossy" versus "lossless"
>compresssion.

No, they're not. Please read up on digital audio before you spout this
nonsense.

> What matters is the quality delivered.

And digital far exceeds the quality of any available analogue source
signal.

Tim Martin wrote:
> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
>
>> How did your "analog signals" originate?
>
> A bird singing in the woods. This generates an analog
signal,
> detectable by ears.

However, the dynamic range in the woods is not all that
good, because the background noise level in the woods is
pretty high compared to bird songs, especially with the
typical distances involved. Nature can be pretty noisy.
Leaves rustle, the wind has turbulence problems, waves lap
or crash, insects buzz...

>> How did they then end up as ones and zeroes on a tape or
disc?

> It's possible to store a digital approximation of this
analog signal
> by a number of methods; I don't see that it actually
matters what
> method is used, but I suppose the most direct method is to
have some
> flexible device that vibrates with the sound of the bird
singing, and
> periodically measure the physical position of the flexible
device.

IOW a microphone.

> The more frequently we measure the position, and the more
precisely we
> measure the position, the more accurate is our digital
representation
> of the analog signal.

Wrong. While taking more measurements in the time domain
increases the highest frequency that can be reliably
discerned, it does nothing for resolution or accuracy of the
measurements. If you want accuracy, you have to improve the
quality of each measurement.

Tim Martin wrote:
> <dpierce@cartchunk.org> wrote in message

>> Beyond what may seem to be a philosphical discussion (it
isn't:
>> it's a direct and inevitable consequence of the your
basic
>> assertion and is proven rigorously in work cited above by
Nyquist
>> and Shannon), the simplem fact is that ANY system of a
finite
>> bandwidth and limited dynamic range can be EXACTLY
represented
>> by a quantized system of finite accuracy.
>
> An analog signal, such as a bird singing in the woods, has
infinite
> bandwidth.

Not really. Creating sounds at an infinitely high frequency
requires infinite amounts of energy.

> That is, there is no upper frequency f, such that any
combination of
> waves of frequency less than f, can exactly represent an
arbitrary
> analog signal, regardless of the precision of the waves.

In reality the energy in bird calls and other natural sounds
at high frequencies is limited and naturally rolling off,
and at some surprisingly low frequency, it drops below the
noise floor.

> Nyquist's Theoerem is about representation of periodic
signals; most
> sounds are not periodic signals.

All real world sounds can be sucessfully analyzed as a
collection of enveloped periodic signals. Fourier wasn't
wrong.

> Of course in practice we can specify a combinations of
waves that
> make close approximations to the bird singing; and we can
get as
> close as we like, up to the limits of whatever equipment
we use to
> detect the analog signal we are approximating.

Same basic problems and results irregardless of whether the
test equipment is analog or digital. Digital test equipment
tends to have better price performance. The lowest noise
floors in audio test equipment generally are obtained with
equipment that is mostly digital. For example, Wein bridges
have built-in dynamic range problems when you actually try
to implement one practically and economically.

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 02:19:12 GMT, "Tim Martin"
<tim2718281@ntlworld.com> wrote:

><dpierce@cartchunk.org> wrote in message
>
>> Beyond what may seem to be a philosphical discussion (it isn't:
>> it's a direct and inevitable consequence of the your basic
>> assertion and is proven rigorously in work cited above by Nyquist
>> and Shannon), the simplem fact is that ANY system of a finite
>> bandwidth and limited dynamic range can be EXACTLY represented
>> by a quantized system of finite accuracy.
>
>An analog signal, such as a bird singing in the woods, has infinite
>bandwidth.

Utter garbage! Everything generating noise in the woods has a very
well defined bandwidth,dependent on the mass/compliance resonaces of
its suspension systems. This includes the larynxes of birds. Also, the
atmosphere has a well-defined sound absorption coefficient which
increases with frequency, such that even a metre away from that bird,
you won't detect much above 100kHz. That's why bats don't have to
worry about reflections from more than a few yards away, the signal
simply doesn't get back to them.

More importantly, since you seem to understand almost nothing which
you are spouting, these are *not* analogue sugnals, they are simply
sounds. Once you have *converted* that sound with say a microphone,
you then have a signal which is an analogue of the original sound. The
live microphone feed is the analogue signal, *not* the original sound.

>That is, there is no upper frequency f, such that any combination of waves
>of frequency less than f, can exactly represent an arbitrary analog signal,
>regardless of the precision of the waves.

However, since there definitely *is* an upper frequency limit to
birdsong, that's not actually a problem.

>Nyquist's Theoerem is about representation of periodic signals; most sounds
>are not periodic signals.

Actually, it's not, except in so far as it does have a bandwidth limit
of less than half the sampling frequency.

>Of course in practice we can specify a combinations of waves that make close
>approximations to the bird singing; and we can get as close as we like, up
>to the limits of whatever equipment we use to detect the analog signal we
>are approximating.

The analogue signal from the microphone *is* the approximation of the
original sound. At least learn the *basics*, then you wouldn't make
such nonsensical statements.

> Nyquist's Theoerem is about representation of periodic signals; most
> sounds
> are not periodic signals.

Any arbitrary sound can be decomposed into a sum of periodic signals.
Therefore, Nyquist's theorem applies to all sounds.

"Karl Uppiano" <karl.uppiano@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Nyquist's Theoerem is about representation of periodic signals; most
> > sounds
> > are not periodic signals.
>
> Any arbitrary sound can be decomposed into a sum of periodic signals.

OK; let's suppose the sound consists of silence, followed by one second of
1kHz sine wave, followed by silence.

What sum of periodic signals can this be decomposed into?

Tim

Tim Martin wrote:
> "Karl Uppiano" <karl.uppiano@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > > Nyquist's Theoerem is about representation of periodic signals; most
> > > sounds
> > > are not periodic signals.
> >
> > Any arbitrary sound can be decomposed into a sum of periodic signals.
>
> OK; let's suppose the sound consists of silence, followed by one second of
> 1kHz sine wave, followed by silence.
>
> What sum of periodic signals can this be decomposed into?

It's exactly the same as a 1 kHz sine wave 100% modulated by a 0.5
Hz square wave, and such decomposes into a series of sine components
spaced 1 Hz apart spaced symmetrically about the 1 kHz component
offset from it by 0.5 Hz, (iow 1000.5, 1001.5, 1002.5, 999.5, 998.5,
997.5, ...) with amplitudes decreasing as we move away from 1 kHz by
a simple 1/n, n = 1, 3, 5, ... and so forth, all components in phase.

AND, if you insist on truning on and off the sine wave INSTANTANEOUSLY,
these sine components extend to +-infinite frequency.

Such a signal, as I am sure you will agree, could never be PRODUCED
perfectly in ANY system existing for finite time or limited to finite
energy.

"Stewart Pinkerton" <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message

Tim

> >Nyquist's Theoerem is about representation of periodic signals; most
sounds
> >are not periodic signals.

Stewart

> Actually, it's not, except in so far as it does have a bandwidth limit
> of less than half the sampling frequency.

Nyquist's Theorem tells us we can exactly represent the information in a
waveform by sampling it at a rate at least twice as high as the highest
frequency in the waveform

I think there's an implication here that by "highest frequency", we are
talking about the highest frequency in a Fourier transform of the original
signal. And the Fourier transform applies only to periodic signals.

Take a waveform consisting of, say a 1000Hz sine wave that is repeatedly
switched on and off at random times. This is not a periodic waveform, and
cannot be represented exactly by a Fourier transform. It has infinite
bandwidth. (Conceptually at least. As you've previously remarked, there
are physical constraints imposed by the transmission medium.)

So what happens when we try to represent that wavefom by a digital
representation (and I'm thinking here of a general-purpose digital
representation.) To keep things simple, let's suppose the amplitude of the
sine wave is small, so gives rise to only two different digital values, 0
and 1.

If we are sampling 48000 times a second, and if the sine wave is long enough
when on, our digital signal will, after some start-up sequence, consist of a
repeating pattern of 24 ones followed by 24 zeroes. Once we're in this part
of the signal, we can reproduce the original sine wave exactly (within the
resolution limits, which are not the issue here.)

But when does our reproduction start?

Our digital representation will have an initial series of values
representing the silence. Again leaving aside start-up considerations, a
series of 48000 identical values will represent one second's initial
silence, and 48001 will represent 1.000021 seconds of silence.

All silent intervals between 1 and 1.000021 seconds will be represented by
one of these values. And as there are more than 2 different analog signals
starting with between 1 and 1.000021 seconds of silence, we are losing
information in the digital representation ... that is, we are compressing
it.

All this is straightforward maths.

I think where you went wrong is failing to distinguish between the audio
frequencies contained in the signal, and the timing information contained in
the signal. In hi-fi, this doesn't usually matter - correctly reproducing
the audio frequencies gives us more than enough timing precision - but in
information theory it does.

Tim

> However, the dynamic range in the woods is not all that
> good, because the background noise level in the woods is
> pretty high compared to bird songs, especially with the
> typical distances involved. Nature can be pretty noisy.

Careful - that's all part of the signal, not "noise". If we were trying to
reproduce the sound of a bird singing in the woods, we would want the
background sound, too.

> IOW a microphone.

Yes, it's pretty much what a capacitor microphone does fairly directly..
However, microphones generate electrical signals, which are affected by the
circuitry they are connected to - that is, the microphone introduces noise -
and I didn't want to confuse the issue with that, hence my suggesting we
measure the position of a moving element.

> > The more frequently we measure the position, and the more
> precisely we
> > measure the position, the more accurate is our digital
> representation
> > of the analog signal.
>
> Wrong. While taking more measurements in the time domain
> increases the highest frequency that can be reliably
> discerned, it does nothing for resolution or accuracy of the
> measurements. If you want accuracy, you have to improve the
> quality of each measurement.

Bear in mind that the context I set was an analog signal with infinite
bandwidth ... eg including sounds starting and stopping at arbitrary times.
So improving the timing resolution does improve the accuracy of the digital
representation.

If we take measurements 10,000 times a second, our resolution is 0.0001
seconds , our digital representation won't necessarily be able to
distinguish between sounds starting at 1.00001 seconds and sounds starting
at 1.00002 seconds; whereas if we take measurements 100,000 times a second,
it will be able to.

Tim

> Not really. Creating sounds at an infinitely high frequency
> requires infinite amounts of energy.

The scenario does not include any sounds of infinitely high frequency. We
can stick with just two tones: one silence, and the other a single tone of
1000Hz.

What I'm saying is that it's not possible to accurately represent a sound
consisting of alternate arbitrary-length sequences of 1000Hz sine waves and
silence with any set of sine waves. regardless of the upper frequency we
use. And that it's not possible to represent them by any digital signal
with fixed sampling frequency, no matter how high that sampling frequency
is.

To put it another way: for any fixed-sampling-frequency digital
representation you specify, I can define two different non-periodic analog
signals, using only silence and 1000 Hz sine waves, that will both map to
the same digital representation.

This is trivial. .

Tim.