[SOLVED] High CPU temps Ryzen 5600x

zvo11

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2015
Last month I noticed high CPU temps, up to 96 on higher loads. I decided to change put new thermal paste, cleaned the cpu plate and cpu water cooler plate with alcohol and then used a clean dry wipe to make sure there is no moisture. The temperatures were fine for a few days, then it started hitting high 90's again. But everytime I applied new paste it was fine for a few days. Then I decided to get the thermal grizzly conductonaut. I was careful enough to put on just enough without it spilling and made sure to really spread it over the entire area. The temps were great until today, where it started hitting up to 96 again. Apart from buying a new cpu or cooler I am not sure what the problem is. Checking the pump RPM on HWMonitor it says 1950 consitently, using CPU-Z to stress the cpu it reaches around 94° degrees, feeling the pipes with my fingers, one pipe does get noticeably warmer than the other. I had Core Temps open every day after applying the paste. It started out fine with around 40 to 50 on average, and the highest temperature kept rising every day by a few degrees until it hit the high 90's. The cooler has a spring around the screw to make sure I don't tighten it too much, I tried tightening it as much as it let me, then I tried a little less, but they all yield the same results after a few days.

CPU: Ryzen 5600x
Cooler: Msi Coreliquid 240R

Solution
feeling the pipes with my fingers, one pipe does get noticeably warmer than the other
That says everything you need to say. There's 4 major parts to an aio pump. The microfins on the cold plate, the motor, the impeller and the coolant.
The cold plate doesn't fail, anymore than an aircooler heatsink can fail. The motor is obviously spinning, showing 1950rpm. That leaves the impeller and coolant. Of those 2, 99% of the issues lie with the coolant, if the impeller was bad, the noise would be obvious.

MSI pumps aren't Asetek manufactured or designed, they are Apaltek who so far has a spotty history. There are multiple instances of coolant failure, where enough 'gel' formations have clogged the microfins. Any pump in good working...

zvo11

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2015
It sounds like the cooling plate is slowly pulling away from the cpu possibly. When the temps get high, have you tried tightening the screw/s again on the cooler and see if the temps lower?
I have tried tightening the screws again but they couldn't get any tighter because of the spring. I did have to seperate the cpu and cooler the first time I applied the liquid metal paste and they were like glued together and very hard to seperate.

zvo11

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2015
you did use the b plate for it and follow the install diagram https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/lc/MAG-CORELIQUID-240R-360R.pdf use hwinfo and open sensor page then press one of the pipe from cooler see if there is any change in speed or temp when you do this .
yes I did follow the instructions for the b plate, it has been working fine for almost 2 years now and only recently started acting up, pressing either of the pipes does not impact the temperature of the cpu

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
feeling the pipes with my fingers, one pipe does get noticeably warmer than the other
That says everything you need to say. There's 4 major parts to an aio pump. The microfins on the cold plate, the motor, the impeller and the coolant.
The cold plate doesn't fail, anymore than an aircooler heatsink can fail. The motor is obviously spinning, showing 1950rpm. That leaves the impeller and coolant. Of those 2, 99% of the issues lie with the coolant, if the impeller was bad, the noise would be obvious.

MSI pumps aren't Asetek manufactured or designed, they are Apaltek who so far has a spotty history. There are multiple instances of coolant failure, where enough 'gel' formations have clogged the microfins. Any pump in good working order will move the coolant sufficiently that at best there's only a 2°C (or there abouts) difference in temp between inlet hose and outlet hose. Which is far below human ability to differentiate. They should 'feel' the same.

So obviously there's a coolant issue and the coolant inside the pump doesn't have enough flow, so stays in the pump longer, getting hotter, which in turn heats up the outlet tubing.

You have no option but to RMA or replace, the pump is still good, but the coolant is toast and will not get any better, only worse.

Solution

zvo11

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2015
I want to thank everyone who gave their answers, I had the spare amd cooler lying around and put it in instead of the AOI water cooler, the temperatures have drasticaly decreased, I will be ordering a noctua air cooler instead of a water cooler.
Thanks again for all your input!