High CPU temps while gaming

dragonfiregames

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Hey there! This is probably going to seem a little all over the place, so I apologize in advance. So I recently noticed games starting to stutter a bit during longer sessions, and decided to check the temps of my pc using HWMonitor. While gaming my CPU starts at around 80c then goes up to 90-97c and bounces around between those. When I have it on idle, or just typing something out like I am now, it's at 45-55c. I've read other forums about this and tried what they suggested, like applying new thermal paste ( which helped a bit, it was worse before I did ), re-seating the cooling block, and cleaning out my case a bit. I'm a little stumped. I haven't messed with BIOS or anything like that, as I have no idea what I would need to do. Sorry if I missed telling you any important details, and thanks in advance for helping!

Specs:
I7-4790k
Corsair H60 water cooler
Gtx 970
12gb ram
2 1tb HDD'S
750w PSU

Solution
For a liquid cooled PC 45-55 temp in idle seems faulty. Stuttering is due to the overheating of CPU
What's the room temp since it have an impact and also clear the dust (if any).
If possible check the water cooler with your friend's PC to make sure it is working properly
From the above info it seems the water cooler is failing or not working as it should

dragonfiregames

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

Hey, sorry for the long response time. I've had the h60 for 3 years. My cpu is still at the stock clock speed, and the radiator itself doesn't have much dust.

Ameen Ahmed

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
For a liquid cooled PC 45-55 temp in idle seems faulty. Stuttering is due to the overheating of CPU
What's the room temp since it have an impact and also clear the dust (if any).
If possible check the water cooler with your friend's PC to make sure it is working properly
From the above info it seems the water cooler is failing or not working as it should

Solution