Question High CPU Usage at idle, i think I've found how to fix it but I don't know how to do it ?

Dec 7, 2023
Hi, Iam using a Lenovo IdeaPad L340-15IRH gaming laptop with an i7-9750H (undervolted/tuned using Throttlestop) and a GTX 1650 mobile ( tuned for low usage on battery and overclocked on AC)

i have an issue where system CPU usage is at least 10% at idle, which is bad, it affects battery life significantly, and it has been bugging me for 3 years, i have tried everything including reinstalling Windows 5 times at least and i can verify it is not a Windows or an app issue.

Not sure about drivers though, once i used driver booster to update drivers, another i let windows auto install the drivers, another i manually installed drivers from lenovo website, they all end eventually with the same issue of high system usage at idle,

Using the laptop on battery seems to calm this down and making it about 5% CPU usage, but still, battery life is about 1 hr at most with normal things like watching YouTube and using VScode.

i found this link : https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/system-process-high-cpu-usage-when-idle.3754133/

where someone was able to fix it using process explorer and disable something related to memory management/ test from task scheduler, tried that and it is not working,

here is a screenshot with the offending services in Process Explorer : https://prnt.sc/Dbxx3_wgrI-v

and here is task manager : https://prnt.sc/5TvDJB0bAJek

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

i have tried everything including reinstalling Windows 5 times at least and i can verify it is not a Windows or an app issue
Windows 11? Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you recreate the bootable USB installer to rule out a corrupt installer? Another note is to install the OS in offline mode, once installed, you manually install all relevant drivers meant for your laptop in an elevated command, then connect to the internet and update the OS.

once i used driver booster to update drivers
You're just trying to ruin your laptop with that app...it's been known to brick system's apart from suggested unsuspecting users that an update for a driver is pending.

Might want to see what your Startup Items are as well.

Reactions: PEnns
What are your clocks when you get 10% usage compared to on battery?
If you tuned the CPU too far down it will need more of the CPU to do the same amount of work, so if it uses a higher profile on battery with better clocks it could explain why it is only 5% then.

Dec 7, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

i have tried everything including reinstalling Windows 5 times at least and i can verify it is not a Windows or an app issue
Windows 11? Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you recreate the bootable USB installer to rule out a corrupt installer? Another note is to install the OS in offline mode, once installed, you manually install all relevant drivers meant for your laptop in an elevated command, then connect to the internet and update the OS.

once i used driver booster to update drivers
You're just trying to ruin your laptop with that app...it's been known to brick system's apart from suggested unsuspecting users that an update for a driver is pending.

Might want to see what your Startup Items are as well.
hello 👋, dw about that it is just a normal windows 11 iso from Microsoft site and flash using a usb with Ventoy, normal Procedure, and yeah i stopped using driver booster long time ago, i just mentioned it for details, but no i haven't used it since 2 years go, and i assure u, not an app issue cuz the 4th time i installed windows i just let it by itself without installing any apps for a week and still happened,

and yeah i already done all of your steps before, everything is done offline

i starts happening about 4 days after windows has been installed, whether windows update installed drivers or i manually installed them,

and yeah, only running essentials on startup, Like windows security and Realtek Driver

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023
What are your clocks when you get 10% usage compared to on battery?
If you tuned the CPU too far down it will need more of the CPU to do the same amount of work, so if it uses a higher profile on battery with better clocks it could explain why it is only 5% then.
i kinda tuned the advanced power plan options for battery (using One of ThioJoe vids that shows all of hidden power pln settings) that is why it is running lower
but on AC it is the default settings,
while on AC CPU is always boosting at 4-4.2GHz all the time and fans wont stop and CPU package is using about 9 to 24w of power at idle, which is alot ,
while on battery ( after my tuning): it is ruining about 1.4-2.1GHz at idle with 4-10w at idle, the numbers should be way lower than that, ppl usually tell me their cpu runs at 0.7-0.9GHz at idle with my settings and using <1w ( which what i was targeting) , anyways the issue is is with the high usage of System service, which i dont know how to diagnose and still learning how to

Dec 7, 2023
Hi, Iam using a Lenovo IdeaPad L340-15IRH gaming laptop with an i7-9750H (undervolted/tuned using Throttlestop) and a GTX 1650 mobile ( tuned for low usage on battery and overclocked on AC)

i have an issue where system CPU usage is at least 10% at idle, which is bad, it affects battery life significantly, and it has been bugging me for 3 years, i have tried everything including reinstalling Windows 5 times at least and i can verify it is not a Windows or an app issue.

Not sure about drivers though, once i used driver booster to update drivers, another i let windows auto install the drivers, another i manually installed drivers from lenovo website, they all end eventually with the same issue of high system usage at idle,

Using the laptop on battery seems to calm this down and making it about 5% CPU usage, but still, battery life is about 1 hr at most with normal things like watching YouTube and using VScode.

i found this link : https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/system-process-high-cpu-usage-when-idle.3754133/

where someone was able to fix it using process explorer and disable something related to memory management/ test from task scheduler, tried that and it is not working,

here is a screenshot with the offending services in Process Explorer : https://prnt.sc/Dbxx3_wgrI-v

and here is task manager : https://prnt.sc/5TvDJB0bAJek
Update: i found from Precess Explorer that the curlprit is: ntoskrnl.exe pofxreportdevicepoweredon+0xa20
a thread inside System Service