High cpu usage no processes xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingjames2501

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Hello,
I am having problems with a slow sluggish computer with what is obviously a hidden process as the normal task manager shows the system idle process as at 99% and the CPU usage is at 100%. I believe that I might have some sort of virus but am unable to find it with any programs I have tried. the programs I have used are PCTools Av, SpybotSD, RootkitRevealer, and Advanced Task Manager.

evans325

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I was having the same issue - slow computer. I read a thread about "System Idle Process at 99". Someone had mentioned to look at file hdaudbus.sys. I took a chance and found this file in C:\Windows\system32\drivers. I renamed the file hdaudbus.s_s. My computer immediately started reacting faster. I'm not good at computer fixes, but this seemed to work with no side effects. I do not use this laptop for anything the needs this file (I think).

tigsounds

Splendid
When the system is not doing anything (no active programs running), "System Idle Process" running at 99% is a good thing. Windows is sitting there spinning its wheels waiting for something to do.

Renaming the hdaudbus.sys can go un-noticed... until you try to play a high bitrate audio file or a multi-channel DVD. The sound just won't sound so good and may pop, click or be fuzzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS