[SOLVED] High CPU usage while playing games

Feb 20, 2019
i have this problem when i start running Apex Legends, then my cpu and pgu hits 80-100% usage i have tried putting all the settings low low or even turning them off. this only happens in this game tho any thing i can do?

Spec:
Intel Core i5-4670K
MSI GeForce GTX 780 Gaming 3GB PhysX
MSI Z97 GAMING 5, Socket-1150
Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 16GB

Solution
Your system is a bit outdated for newer games. Try to OC your CPU and GPU before considering changing them. See if you can get a bit more. If your CPU is at 100% but isn't super hot, this also is not an issue, it's how games work. Only way to stop this is to enable Vsync or lower settings, so that you don't let your system go to infinite performance. You won't get those extra fps anyway and it will make your image tear anyway, but this is only if you are running over the frequency of your monitor.

snipester90

Reputable
Jan 26, 2019
Well I would say being a newer game it's putting your CPU through the paces, some games are more CPU intensive and others more GPU intensive. My CPU is at a constant 100% usage and even gets hotter than usual while playing BF5, it being such a CPU intensive game.

Feb 20, 2019
This could be because new games are starting to take advantage of more cores and more cpu power (especially cores) as those things get more mainstream, so the cpu might just be working hard to help push out as many frames as possible. Also possibly a driver issue could be the problem.

Feb 20, 2019
This could be because new games are starting to take advantage of more cores and more cpu power (especially cores) as those things get more mainstream, so the cpu might just be working hard to help push out as many frames as possible. Also possibly a driver issue could be the problem.

i tried lowering my resolution 1 size down and then it stopped lagging??
any ideas to why

snipester90

Reputable
Jan 26, 2019
Have you checked Temps? Fps spikes are usually an indicator of your CPU throttling. Hence why reducing the resolution also takes some load off the gpu and CPU. Your CPU is most probably getting over-stressed by the game and it's overheating

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Higher resolution usually comes with a higher field of view. Meaning more objects for your CPU to load, and more pixels for your GPU to use.
Lowering your resolution may simply mean the load on your CPU and GPU decreased - thus the lag decrease.

Resolution usually has more of an impact on GPU than anything else. But does affect CPU depending on how you've set up your monitor / applications. In some scenarios - increasing resolution can decrease CPU usage - but not always.

Cioby

Distinguished
Your system is a bit outdated for newer games. Try to OC your CPU and GPU before considering changing them. See if you can get a bit more. If your CPU is at 100% but isn't super hot, this also is not an issue, it's how games work. Only way to stop this is to enable Vsync or lower settings, so that you don't let your system go to infinite performance. You won't get those extra fps anyway and it will make your image tear anyway, but this is only if you are running over the frequency of your monitor.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS