[SOLVED] High CPU when idle and low performance

May 22, 2022
My PC has been under performing in some games in FiveM, with high CPU usage.

When idle, my PC gets around 40-60% usage. I have no clue on what causes this. I cleaned my computer and its dust filters to see if it would do anything.

I'm noobish when it comes to components past the fundamentals. Some help could be nice as I would love to play FiveM without having stutters.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/52762006
-Benchmark with discord in the background, prior tests have been similar.

Not sure if this is a case of bottle necking, I wouldn't know the cause and how to fix it.

Any advice would be nice to resolve this issue that has been plaguing me.

Solution
Oof, full reinstall is a pain, gotta reinstall everything else too, I usually consider that a last resort.

Personally, I'd get ccleaner from piriform.com and let it run a couple of times. I'd also run malwarebytes or other malware checker. The sheer amount of junk, connector files, malware, cookies, counters etc a pc can accumulate is amazing.

It's good you dusted the pc, but that's only half of the maintenance required, the software has to be as clean as the hardware. But do also make sure in settings that Xbox DVR and Game Helper stuff is also disabled, they are enabled by default and do nothing but drag a pc down.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
YIKES!

That background use along with the other "way below" is indicative of a couple of problems in my opinion.

First thing I would personally consider in this situation is a fresh and clean install of Windows 10. Full wipe, fully clean. Do so with ONLY the drive you designate for the OS to be on connected, and on the SSD or M.2 (NVME if you can afford it).

Allow the PC to fully update and finish with the install process. Go to your motherboard and hardware device websites and get the official drivers and install everything pertinent to the system.

Go through Windows 10 and disable every background process you don't need to use all the time, disable anything at startup that you don't need, check all your privacy settings to turn off devices you aren't using and so forth. Go in "startup" and disable things you don't need or that you can start yourself when you need to use them. In your current build it is showing use of over half your RAM for this benchmark, and that is quite high. Normal untuned W10 should be using 4-5GB

After that is all done, reinstall your game(s) and see if you don't have improvement. Make sure you are paying attention when installing anything that you aren't installing other possibly undesirable programs. Things like "search bars" and "driver finders" and such are nonsense and a waste of resource aside from possible vectors for malware or undesirable use of resources and they spy on you and report back. Only use ONE antivirus solution. Defender works well enough if you are being safe.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oof, full reinstall is a pain, gotta reinstall everything else too, I usually consider that a last resort.

Personally, I'd get ccleaner from piriform.com and let it run a couple of times. I'd also run malwarebytes or other malware checker. The sheer amount of junk, connector files, malware, cookies, counters etc a pc can accumulate is amazing.

It's good you dusted the pc, but that's only half of the maintenance required, the software has to be as clean as the hardware. But do also make sure in settings that Xbox DVR and Game Helper stuff is also disabled, they are enabled by default and do nothing but drag a pc down.

Reactions: nerfman12
Solution
May 22, 2022

CCleaner has done well, went from high 20-30 idle to a good 5-10, peaking at 15 sometimes. I'm going to run some games and see how my PC performs over the weekend.