[SOLVED] High dBm, please help

Classy666

Commendable
Jul 22, 2021
i have fiber internet and my internet cuts off for 1 or 2 seconds, this happends 2 or 3 times in a minute, for my personal usage its sooo anoying, bcs i stream and play warzone and lag for 1 sec during gun fights.
i found out in my router settings that i have a high Optical Module Input Power (-25) i read online that it's better for the dBm to be (-14) and lower.
so is there any way i can lower it ?

Solution
i have fiber internet and my internet cuts off for 1 or 2 seconds, this happends 2 or 3 times in a minute, for my personal usage its sooo anoying, bcs i stream and play warzone and lag for 1 sec during gun fights.
i found out in my router settings that i have a high Optical Module Input Power (-25) i read online that it's better for the dBm to be (-14) and lower.
It is unlikely that the optical power is your problem unless you were also getting alot of CRC or other types of errors.
Optical power is not something you can easily change. You won't have the proper tools to clean fiber or measure any change.

kanewolf

Titan
It is unlikely that the optical power is your problem unless you were also getting alot of CRC or other types of errors.
Optical power is not something you can easily change. You won't have the proper tools to clean fiber or measure any change.

Solution

Classy666

Commendable
Jul 22, 2021
the thing is i tried LAN cable and phone cable and wifi usb and the problem is still the same, what do you think its from ? should i reset my router, cuz the ping is good as well as the debit speed.

kanewolf

Titan
the thing is i tried LAN cabland phone cable and wifi usb and the problem is still the same, what do you think its from ? should i reset my router, cuz the ping is good as well as the debit speed.
You only control a very small amount of the network. If you setup two CMD windows with continuous ping. One window to your router and the second to google 8.8.8.8. If your ping to your router is loss free and consistent, that is most of what you can control. If your ping to 8.8.8.8 is consistent, then it is not the network.

Classy666

Commendable
Jul 22, 2021
You only control a very small amount of the network. If you setup two CMD windows with continuous ping. One window to your router and the second to google 8.8.8.8. If your ping to your router is loss free and consistent, that is most of what you can control. If your ping to 8.8.8.8 is consistent, then it is not the network.
sounds helpful but sorry i wish if i could understand this x(

kanewolf

Titan
sounds helpful but sorry i wish if i could understand this x(
If "ping your router" is too advanced for you, then worrying about the optical power on your modem is 100X beyond your skill.
Open a cmd.exe window. Run the command ipconfig.exe /all Look for "DEFAULT GATEWAY" It should have a value of 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z That is the IP address of your router.
In that same window you can run the command ping.exe -t <DEFAULT GATEWAY IP> That will start a continuous ping to your router.

I assume you are seeing the power levels in your router. Most these device have a range of acceptable power levels. If it is outside the range it generally sends messages to the ISP.

There should also be log messages if the connection is actually failing.

In any case the fiber it not something the ISP wants you messing with. At the very best you could replace a patch cable between where the fiber comes into the house and your router. Still I would not mess with it. You can get low power levels with something as simple as a fingerprint on the end of the fiber. You do not even want to attempt to clear it. All it takes is spec of dust to scratch the end of fiber so it is something that I would leave to a pro unless you have the proper cleaning tools and have seen it done many times.

Classy666

Commendable
Jul 22, 2021
I assume you are seeing the power levels in your router. Most these device have a range of acceptable power levels. If it is outside the range it generally sends messages to the ISP.

There should also be log messages if the connection is actually failing.

In any case the fiber it not something the ISP wants you messing with. At the very best you could replace a patch cable between where the fiber comes into the house and your router. Still I would not mess with it. You can get low power levels with something as simple as a fingerprint on the end of the fiber. You do not even want to attempt to clear it. All it takes is spec of dust to scratch the end of fiber so it is something that I would leave to a pro unless you have the proper cleaning tools and have seen it done many times.
the thing is we just installed the fiber internet 2 weeks ago, i might just call the technician to come re install the connector cable, and i will ask him about the problem i have .