[SOLVED] high end pc feels low end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2020
Okay so after 2 months of asking on forums and searching on google and trying to fix it myself, i have given up. My specs are 2080 ti, i9 9900ks, 64gb ddr4 ram, NVme 2tb ssd, asus rog strix z390-e gaming motherboard. and none of my games run like you would expect a beast pc like this to run, csgo runs at 100- 190 fps with stutters and just feels wierd, while my friends with 1070's run it at 300+ fps no problem, and rust, escape from tarkov, cod modern warfare, arma, black ops4, watch dogs 2, etc just run really really dissapointing, rust runs at a 70 - 100fps with stutters and certainly doesnt feel smooth, escape from tarkov is just laggy and stuttering, and just feels like absolut dog <Mod Edit>, modern warfare has input lag and is just wierd. and so on, and idk what to do at this point, ive tried changing bios settings, changing ram mhz, downgrading windows, updating windows, reinstalling windows, used different ingame settings, used g-sync, changing monitor settings, and so on, i am so god damn insanely sad and annoyed at the same time right now, i just simply dont know anymore, a pc like this should just work and i feel like i have wasted so much damn money on something a damn 1070 could beat easily.. Any help would be VERY VERY VERY appreciated. temps are fine so thats not it either. im on a 144hz monitor. Please no ''you tried restarting your pc?'' , ''have you tried lowering your settings?'' comments.. sorry if i sound rude but i am just very annoyed. Its been 2 months of just trying and asking for help, ive just recently contacted the place i bought my pc from and im awaiting a responds from them. Is this normal? am i expecting too much? I remember playing the VR game called boneworks the day it came out, and i was very dissapointed in the perfomance. A guy LITERALLY RAN THE GAME ON A F*CKING MACBOOK AND RAN THE GAME BETTER THAN ME..

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
MOTHERBOARD: asus rog strix z390-e gaming
CPU: I9 9900KS 4.0Ghz
GPU: asus rog strix 2080 TI
RAM: 64gb vengeance ddr4 ram
PSU: Not sure and dont feel comfortable opening my actual pc without breaking something but believe its a corshair HX platinum something something.
HDD/SSD: 2TB EVO SSD NVme
MONITOR: AOC 144hz
CASE: InWin 805 Infinity case

I dont know what my LOAD is for my gpu and cpu, and my tempatures sit at around 34- 40c temp while ingame

And im playing at 1440p and my friends play on 1080p except for one of my friends so yeah.

Well, this may not be the issue but its something I learned once that helped me understand a lot more about how fps is transferred to monitors.

When you run...
Let's start with your full system specs in this format:

MOTHERBOARD:
CPU:
GPU:
RAM:
PSU:
HDD/SSD:
MONITOR:
CASE:

Go to this website - https://www.userbenchmark.com/
Click on free download and run the benchmark. Paste the link of your results here.

What are your temperatures at IDLE and LOAD for your CPU and GPU?

At what resolution are you playing your games? Is your friend with a 1070 playing at the same resolution as you? If you're playing in 1440p and he is playing in 1080p expect a difference.

Is this normal? am i expecting too much?
It would be great, if you could do some diagnosing.
Open MSI afterburner - hardware monitoring window, run your game until stutters are experienced and post screenshot (upload to imgur.com and post link).
Graphs should be visible in the screenshot - fps, cpu usage/temp, gpu usage/temp, memory usage, ram usage, pagefile usage.
MSI Afterburner hardware monitoring window looks like this:

Monitoring.png

Jan 11, 2020
PSU: Not sure and dont feel comfortable opening my actual pc without breaking something but believe its a corshair HX platinum something something.

I dont know what my LOAD is for my gpu and cpu, and my tempatures sit at around 34- 40c temp while ingame

And im playing at 1440p and my friends play on 1080p except for one of my friends so yeah.
Let's start with your full system specs in this format:

MOTHERBOARD:
CPU:
GPU:
RAM:
PSU:
HDD/SSD:
MONITOR:
CASE:

Go to this website - https://www.userbenchmark.com/
Click on free download and run the benchmark. Paste the link of your results here.

What are your temperatures at IDLE and LOAD for your CPU and GPU?

At what resolution are you playing your games? Is your friend with a 1070 playing at the same resolution as you? If you're playing in 1440p and he is playing in 1080p expect a difference.

Well, this may not be the issue but its something I learned once that helped me understand a lot more about how fps is transferred to monitors.

When you run fps above your monitors fps, yes it helps with frametimes, and all that good stuff that us gamers love. However it can create issues with stutter because your monitor is trying to output frames at a faster rate (even when limited by its own hz rate) than it can produce. 2 times your Hz rate seems to be the norm however when you have a 144hz monitor , 2x your fps isnt always optimal as not much hardware, nor monitor can support a 300+fps input.

And the issue scales the higher you get into fps.

For example I have a 75hz monitor, but I play apex legends with an avg fps of about 170fps. But it almost looks like im playing on a 60fps monitor because for 1 , I didnt buy the best monitor for 75hz, and 2, 170fps is well above 2x the refresh rate of my monitor.

Im not technically explaining this in a good way, I get that, I just learned it recently, but it may help you narrow down why your getting great fps on higher end hardware but when you visually see it, it dont look good.

Another option would be micro screen tearing. For some reason if I run 74hz on my 75hz monitor, (or even 75hz) I have the WORST screen tearing. But the higher in fps I go, it kind of smooths out where I dont really notice it. BUT this can also create that "stutter" effect that makes the game LOOK like its stuttering because of the monitor, but its not on the hardware.

Solution
Jan 11, 2020

When you run fps above your monitors fps, yes it helps with frametimes, and all that good stuff that us gamers love. However it can create issues with stutter because your monitor is trying to output frames at a faster rate (even when limited by its own hz rate) than it can produce. 2 times your Hz rate seems to be the norm however when you have a 144hz monitor , 2x your fps isnt always optimal as not much hardware, nor monitor can support a 300+fps input.

And the issue scales the higher you get into fps.

For example I have a 75hz monitor, but I play apex legends with an avg fps of about 170fps. But it almost looks like im playing on a 60fps monitor because for 1 , I didnt buy the best monitor for 75hz, and 2, 170fps is well above 2x the refresh rate of my monitor.

Im not technically explaining this in a good way, I get that, I just learned it recently, but it may help you narrow down why your getting great fps on higher end hardware but when you visually see it, it dont look good.

Another option would be micro screen tearing. For some reason if I run 74hz on my 75hz monitor, (or even 75hz) I have the WORST screen tearing. But the higher in fps I go, it kind of smooths out where I dont really notice it. BUT this can also create that "stutter" effect that makes the game LOOK like its stuttering because of the monitor, but its not on the hardware.
Thanks alot! will try limit my framerate to my monitor and see if it helps.

This probably doesn't mean anything, but if the NVMe is the only drive, and it is running both OS and games, can heat / throttling affect game performance?

I have two 970 EVO Plus drives myself, and even with custom heatsink they get hot. Not to the point of throttling though, but I use passive heatsinks on them and have very good airflow in my case, also I don't run both Windows and games off the same drive. The drive that runs hottest, is not too far from the heat limit where it begins throttling, when it is being worked hard. Well, it is just a thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.