Question High-End System - High FPS but Extreme Stuttering

May 31, 2023
Hi, all,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, first post. Here's my Userbenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/61826423

In the short Youtube clip here, you can see the problem happening at about 6-10 seconds. I'm tracking the bots head, and you can see my system sort of hitch or stutter largely twice. This keeps happening intermittently as I play.

What I've tried so far:
Reformat
New NVME SSD
BIOS update
Latest GPU drivers
Latest chipset drivers

Last edited:
Hi, all,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, first post. Here's my Userbenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/61826423

In the short Youtube clip here, you can see the problem happening at about 6-10 seconds. I'm tracking the bots head, and you can see my system sort of hitch or stutter largely twice. This keeps happening intermittently as I play.

What I've tried so far:
Reformat
BIOS update
Gpu driver looks old.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With a 5950x, you should be hitting @ 500+ fps from the cpu. From the 3070 @ 1080p you'll see on-screen fps @ 380ish, 1440p @ 300ish. That's most likely at least double your refresh rate on the monitor (unless it's a 240Hz etc) which can cause stutter issues as the buffer is trying to redo a second frame at the same time as the monitor refreshes and they clash.

You can sometimes clear that up by turning Off DLSS or turning On RTX to max and putting a lower output/higher load on the gpu, or simply by capping fps somewhat lower.

May 31, 2023
With a 5950x, you should be hitting @ 500+ fps from the cpu. From the 3070 @ 1080p you'll see on-screen fps @ 380ish, 1440p @ 300ish. That's most likely at least double your refresh rate on the monitor (unless it's a 240Hz etc) which can cause stutter issues as the buffer is trying to redo a second frame at the same time as the monitor refreshes and they clash.

You can sometimes clear that up by turning Off DLSS or turning On RTX to max and putting a lower output/higher load on the gpu, or simply by capping fps somewhat lower.
Hi Karadjgne, thanks for the detailed reply.

In the video I posted, I'm capped at 144 fps to match my refresh rate, and the stuttering doesn't seem to correspond to a loss in fps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't cap at refresh. If you cap at refresh you rely on the gpu to be totally error free and get every single pixel reframed at exactly the same time and rate as the monitor is trying to refresh. One tiny little error, and the gpu cancels the frame and shoves in the next frame and you get a stutter.

Cap at 200fps instead.

May 31, 2023
Don't cap at refresh. If you cap at refresh you rely on the gpu to be totally error free and get every single pixel reframed at exactly the same time and rate as the monitor is trying to refresh. One tiny little error, and the gpu cancels the frame and shoves in the next frame and you get a stutter.

Cap at 200fps instead.
I've tried capping at 200, and this still happens. I have some new information, though. The problem happens on the desktop, too, and it seems to be getting worse.

Jun 4, 2023
In my experience, this type of stuttering with a Ryzen CPU was due to how the RAM clocks/timing is set in the BIOS. Basically, if the RAM is clocked ahead of what the CPU normally would support, it would cause micro-stutters in games and so I had to run everything just right to make it not stutter. Yours looks correct though, so it must be something else. My guess it could be possibly related to the SSD or even the PSU causing some instability in everything. Any type of off-set in voltage can cause these types of performance issues as well.

May 31, 2023
In my experience, this type of stuttering with a Ryzen CPU was due to how the RAM clocks/timing is set in the BIOS. Basically, if the RAM is clocked ahead of what the CPU normally would support, it would cause micro-stutters in games and so I had to run everything just right to make it not stutter. Yours looks correct though, so it must be something else. My guess it could be possibly related to the SSD or even the PSU causing some instability in everything. Any type of off-set in voltage can cause these types of performance issues as well.
I installed a new SSD with a fresh copy of Windows last night, and the issue still happened.

However, I suspected something about the PSU or even the apartment power as I recently moved to an apartment in a very old house.

I completely unplugged my second monitor from the wall, so there's no extra power drawn from this circuit, and so far it seems like the problem stopped happening, but we will see. To me, that says GPU or power problem.

Has anyone heard of old/weird house power causing a problem like this?

Jun 4, 2023
I installed a new SSD with a fresh copy of Windows last night, and the issue still happened.

However, I suspected something about the PSU or even the apartment power as I recently moved to an apartment in a very old house.

I completely unplugged my second monitor from the wall, so there's no extra power drawn from this circuit, and so far it seems like the problem stopped happening, but we will see. To me, that says GPU or power problem.

Has anyone heard of old/weird house power causing a problem like this?
Oh yes, that can cause problems as well. Usually most PSUs are fairly efficient (especially Gold rating and higher), but it can still be sensitive at times. So you could try another PSU or possibly look into getting a UPS to power both the PC and monitor to help maintain a more consistent voltage without having the power source loaded down too much.