[SOLVED] High fps, low ping, but lag

siriusmd99

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Hello, so since a year I started to have some problems in online gaming and even while browsing websites.
When I play csgo for example, net graph shows 0% loss, 0% choke, 30-60 stable ping and high fps (150-300).
And game still lags, after I shoot I see the bullet hit target with 1-2 seconds delay. And the hitbox is like always 1 meter away from player model I see.
Every 20-30 seconds net graph shows 5-7% loss for a second then goes back to 0%.

I use desktop pc with ethernet adapter (cable 10 MB/s). I tried to give I internet from different source and still same problem. I think the problem is the adapter, I had some power cuts and maybe it got damaged and now causing packet loss.

Sometimes, like for 5-10 seconds it works nice without lag and then goes back lagging.

I have windows 10 v1607, all drivers updated, 8gb ram, i5 CPU, gtx 1050 TI.

Tried different tutorials like disable green internet in adapter settings, change gaming settings like rate, interp and all this stuff, nothing helped.

Solution
It wasn't driver, or something else. It was just a coincidence. I formated my entire SSD drive and installed clean Windows 10 Latest build install.
Then I didn't install any 3rd party software, only steam and tried again to launch csgo and see if the problem is there. So the problem was again. Meanwhile I receive my UTP Cat6 cable from amazon and replaced with old one which was connected to router from wall socket (ethernet socket).

After replacement it started to work fine. I think my old cable was damaged cause I saw it being bent between wall and floor, especially in the corners.

So I think this was the fix, just by replacing the ethernet cable.
Sometimes I am still getting ping problems, but these are just 2-3 seconds freeze and...
You should be able to tell if it is your machine cable or router with simple ping tests.

Leave a constant ping run in a background cmd window to your router IP. It is actually fairly rare to see loss here.

If you see nothing try 8.8.8.8. This will test you internet connection. The actual internet having a issue is the most common cause of this problem. You could do dome more testing but it is highly likely some issue with the cabling to your house. The ISP needs to come out and check.

Now if you see no issues to 8.8.8.8 also then you start to suspect things that are not actually network issues that the game is claiming to be issues. It could be some issue with some other software that just makes it appear you have a network problem. There are quite a few games that will claim network issues when the real problem is they got delayed processing video and just blamed the network

siriusmd99

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
You should be able to tell if it is your machine cable or router with simple ping tests.

Leave a constant ping run in a background cmd window to your router IP. It is actually fairly rare to see loss here.

If you see nothing try 8.8.8.8. This will test you internet connection. The actual internet having a issue is the most common cause of this problem. You could do dome more testing but it is highly likely some issue with the cabling to your house. The ISP needs to come out and check.

Now if you see no issues to 8.8.8.8 also then you start to suspect things that are not actually network issues that the game is claiming to be issues. It could be some issue with some other software that just makes it appear you have a network problem. There are quite a few games that will claim network issues when the real problem is they got delayed processing video and just blamed the network
I did that, it looks ok, like some packets lost but only 10 packets from 1000, like under 1% loss, not a big trouble here. Also when i startup windows, the ethernet adapter has a delay connecting to internet. Like windows starts and then i must wait like 30 seconds until it finds ip. I tried using static and dhcp , same problem. It started like a year ago.

Also I don't think its video processing problem. I played different high graphics games like Call of Duty and it worked perfectly. I tried using usb internet from mobile 20mb/s, and still same problem.

Can it really be a video problem? Maybe hitbox problem can be explained but gun spray and no hit registration. I don't think it's video problem. When i rewatch demo in 5% speed, i see bullet shot right in the middle of the model. But in reality no hit was registered.

If ping sees no issues at the same time your game is seeing lag then it can't really be a network issue. How could only the gaming traffic be affected.

You could I suppose ping the game server but there is little you can do to fix this if the problem is say inbetween the game company ISP any your ISP or another ISP.

Graphics is just a common example. You would need to watch the resource monitor maybe and see if the anything looks different between the times it is ok and the times you see problems

Reactions: digitalgriffin

siriusmd99

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
If ping sees no issues at the same time your game is seeing lag then it can't really be a network issue. How could only the gaming traffic be affected.

You could I suppose ping the game server but there is little you can do to fix this if the problem is say inbetween the game company ISP any your ISP or another ISP.

Graphics is just a common example. You would need to watch the resource monitor maybe and see if the anything looks different between the times it is ok and the times you see problems

I want to say what happened today. I was doing an individual research for my university project and I had to use wireshark to monitor and sniff traffic.
So after I installed wireshark it magicaly somehow fixed my problem. Now everything works perfect in game and in browser, even the movement speed (i know it sounds odd) increased in game.
Wireshark installation is not related to my problem, its just for my school project. But I happened so that after I installed wireshark I was prompted to restart windows.
After I restarted , the LAN adapter got fixed somehow, zero delay this time and instant connection.

So I don't think the adapter was the problem,because as I said earlier I tried to use pocket wireless modem (SIM-card connection) and had same problem.
Maybe there was a bad windows driver that caused the problem and wireshark installation among with NPCAP loopback driver fixed this.
If everything works fine next days I'll mark this answer as solution.

I want to say what happened today. I was doing an individual research for my university project and I had to use wireshark to monitor and sniff traffic.
So after I installed wireshark it magicaly somehow fixed my problem. Now everything works perfect in game and in browser, even the movement speed (i know it sounds odd) increased in game.
Wireshark installation is not related to my problem, its just for my school project. But I happened so that after I installed wireshark I was prompted to restart windows.
After I restarted , the LAN adapter got fixed somehow, zero delay this time and instant connection.

So I don't think the adapter was the problem,because as I said earlier I tried to use pocket wireless modem (SIM-card connection) and had same problem.
Maybe there was a bad windows driver that caused the problem and wireshark installation among with NPCAP loopback driver fixed this.
If everything works fine next days I'll mark this answer as solution.

That is really...odd. I wonder if some antivirus is doing a dpi/spi on the data slowing it down. But wireshark shouldnt be bypassing it. It just gets passed the same data in a chain as a root level data handler.

siriusmd99

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
I don't use any anti-virus, windows defender is disabled. I think there was some driver or kernel file that Wireshark replaced, I don't know that's too odd. It was just random, I installed Wireshark for different purpose and it fixed problem somehow .

siriusmd99

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
It wasn't driver, or something else. It was just a coincidence. I formated my entire SSD drive and installed clean Windows 10 Latest build install.
Then I didn't install any 3rd party software, only steam and tried again to launch csgo and see if the problem is there. So the problem was again. Meanwhile I receive my UTP Cat6 cable from amazon and replaced with old one which was connected to router from wall socket (ethernet socket).

After replacement it started to work fine. I think my old cable was damaged cause I saw it being bent between wall and floor, especially in the corners.

So I think this was the fix, just by replacing the ethernet cable.
Sometimes I am still getting ping problems, but these are just 2-3 seconds freeze and are rare. I think these ones are from ISP. But I am not getting constant loss like I did before.

Solution