Question high graphic card for my mother board type

Jun 3, 2024
I have a computer that entails these components and wondering if the DDR3 graphic card could be replaced by a DDR6?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
graphic card NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, the graphics memory has nothing to do with the rest of the system.

GDDR5 or GDDR6 are a completely different standard. GT1030 with DDR4 is actually a budget product using slower system memory chips rather than graphics memory chips. I don't believe they make a DDR3 version. The GT1030 with GDDR5 is a much faster GPU as a result.

Power supply and physical size are the important factors when selecting a GPU.

As this is an older system, there will be a point where it makes little sense to get a faster GPU. And some slower GPUs will not be a good fit as they use reduced PCIe lane configurations or require features your system doesn't have.

If this is a low profile chassis, you will be quite limited on what size cards you can use.

The GT1030 does not use external power, but most faster GPUs do, so the power supply having PCIe power connectors is the most important thing here.

Reactions: 35below0
Jun 3, 2024

GDDR5 or GDDR6 are a completely different standard. GT1030 with DDR4 is actually a budget product using slower system memory chips rather than graphics memory chips. I don't believe they make a DDR3 version. The GT1030 with GDDR5 is a much faster GPU as a result.

As this is an older system, there will be a point where it makes little sense to get a faster GPU. And some slower GPUs will not be a good fit as they use reduced PCIe lane configurations or require features your system doesn't have.

If this is a low profile chassis, you will be quite limited on what size cards you can use.

The GT1030 does not use external power, but most faster GPUs do, so the power supply having PCIe power connectors is the most important thing here.
What would you recommend to use for my system to play say guild wars 2 on a medium to high setting?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't have enough information to make any recommendations. You could get the GDDR5 version of the GT1030.

There are a few sub 75W low-profile GTX 1050 and 1050Ti, but they are quite rare and expensive.

There are a few low-profile GTX1650, again, usually more expensive than the regular ones.

Absolute highest spec card would be the RTX 3050 6GB low profile. Though that is creeping into too fast for the host system.

If your system isn't low profile and you have at least a single 6-pin PCIe power connector, than you have many more options.

Frankly might be better off spending that money on a platform upgrade. Ryzen 5600G with its integrated GPU would be decent. If you have the money you could skip ahead to the 8500G or 8600G and a DDR5 motherboard.

I have a computer that entails these components and wondering if the DDR3 graphic card could be replaced by a DDR6?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
graphic card NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
What would you recommend to use for my system to play say guild wars 2 on a medium to high setting?
The hardest part helping as here lately there have been people with your upgrade needs that have a SFF computer.

So depends if you have a full tower and yes like said or asked what power supply do your have. Brand and model?

Being as the game your asking for a GPU card to bump up the performance on listed a GTX 680 on Steam as recommended to play that game.

So depending on what form factor PC you have and again power supply.

Also parts your working with a used GTX 1070 would patch up your older parts and really open up the game your playing.

Keep in mind the GTX 1070 will also open up more than just that one game but on the latest AAA games your back down to low settings but will play the games.

For example on the used market.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/d84164a4-f875-3df6-9cce-560b39a9b919

So more information is needed from you, maybe also some pictures of your PC with the side panel off and a picture of the label on your power supply.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gt-1030.c2954

Also to show you where you are to that GTX 1070 go down to

Relative Performance​

and roll your mouse wheel and see a side by side of your current card to a used ageing but still powerful GTX 1070.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2024

my power supply is a Hp611481-001 that can not succeed 240w

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Could you buy and build this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($137.55 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44L 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks XT PRO ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.90 @ Newegg)
Total: $508.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-11 18:52 EDT-0400

It's just over $500 and it's a lot of gaming power for the price. You can add in a GPU if you find a decent cheap one, but the iGPU can do a lot of the work on it's own. Depending on the game of course.

You could save $20-25 if you buy only 16Gb of RAM, and another $10 if you pick a slightly cheaper 650w PSU.
16Gb of RAM is pretty low today, doubly so when the iGPU needs to borrow RAM.
I have a similar Intel based system, and it can use up 12-13 Gb very easily when playing games.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
graphic card is a NVidia gt1030
Just to tell you the truth you need a new pc for gaming. What you have is not made for gaming and not made to be upgraded. (you can use it but without very good results)

From the above people saying a 5600G would make it a gaming PC is not really true it would absolutely sux for any modern game and most older games.

The built in graphics in the 5600G is actually a downgrade from the 1030.

Reactions: stonecarver

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just to tell you the truth you need a new pc for gaming. What you have is not made for gaming and not made to be upgraded. (you can use it but without very good results)

From the above people saying a 5600G would make it a gaming PC is not really true it would absolutely sux for any modern game and most older games.

The built in graphics in the 5600G is actually a downgrade from the 1030.

Well, sort of. The GT1030 DDR5 isn't bad. But the DDR4 version is pretty terrible.

Here is an old 2018 review showing it bested by the 2400G.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
It depends where you draw the line. It can run a lot of games, but that won't mean anything if it doesn't include the games you want.

In the build i suggested i left room for a GPU, hence the 750w PSU. For $500 or under, there is not a snowball's chance in hell of getting good gaming performance, esp. modern demanding games. That needs a $1000-1500 budget at least, not including monitor.

But you can sink hundreds of hours into RimWorld, Hard West, Sins, Factorio or 4X games, to name a few. Throw in classics like KOTOR and Jade Empire, or the original Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines and probably dozens of games i forgot, not to mention indie games.
All of them can run on the iGPU. + Win11 and other conveniences of a modern OS.

It's a lot of PC for the money. To get more you need another $300-600 for a new GPU. And here we do agree. For the kind of modern performance in modern games, that kind of GPU is required. But it won't go into a machine like the one OP has. Even if power wasn't a consideration, there is only so much a 3570 can do in 2024.