Question High Idle Temps on Ryzen 7800X3D - Need Advice!

jayadinesh

Honorable
Jul 13, 2019
It's been over a month since I finished the build, and everything is working perfectly fine except for one strange phenomenon with the processor during idle conditions. I've noticed that in idle situations, the CPU temperature always stays around the 50-60°C range when checked in various apps like HWinfo, Ryzen Master, and my AIO software (Lian Li). However, under load (during gaming or productivity tasks), the temperatures are normal and as expected.

Things I have tried:-

• Repasted with Noctua NT-H1.
  • Uninstalled and disabled armoury crate.
  • Disabled integrated graphics.
  • Tweaked BIOS settings such as curve optimizer, PPT limit, platform thermal throttle limit.
  • Even ramped up the AIO and case fans to max for 10 mins.
Despite trying all the aforementioned methods the idle temps wouldn't budge and remained unchanged. However temps under load are greatly improved with CO -30 and 80c thermal limit. I am well aware that this chip is designed to handle these temps effectively but still a part of me is worried. It should be noted that I live in a warm region with an approx. room temp of 30c.

What further steps should I take from here? I believe I've tried every single solution I found on the internet, and I'm looking for some fresh insights.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

My specs

• 7800x3d
  • Asus tuf B650 plus wifi
  • Lian li galahad trinity II 360 AIO
  • Lian li SL-INF 120mm reverse blades
  • Gigabyte 4070 Ti Super.
  • Lian li o11 vision.
  • 3x bottom intake
  • 1x rear intake
  • 3x side exhaust (AIO)

Hey there,

It seems the newer X3d parts run way hotter at idle than, lets say, Zen 3 CPU's which idle at about 29-35c depending on airflow, ambient temps etc.

For the 7800x3d idle is more in and around the 40-45c+. With that in mind your temps would seem a little on the high side. You do have a a good case for airflow, and the number of fans should really keep it cool inside the chassis. Your ambient temps are prob related.

Typically you can expect your CPU to be about 15-20c over ambient. It seems you are in the ballpark.

If not impacting performance, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

jayadinesh

Honorable
Jul 13, 2019
Hey there,

It seems the newer X3d parts run way hotter at idle than, lets say, Zen 3 CPU's which idle at about 29-35c depending on airflow, ambient temps etc.

For the 7800x3d idle is more in and around the 40-45c+. With that in mind your temps would seem a little on the high side. You do have a a good case for airflow, and the number of fans should really keep it cool inside the chassis. Your ambient temps are prob related.

Typically you can expect your CPU to be about 15-20c over ambient. It seems you are in the ballpark.

If not impacting performance, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Thanks for the clarification I think that ambient temp is the problem here. As for the perfomance on load its fantastic. Did some curve optimization and temp limit and so temps & clocks are better under load.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead