Question Computer repair gone wrong running out of ideas

Aug 4, 2024
I recently started a small business in computer and electronic repair, but the computer I’m working on currently has stumped me, it was running perfectly fine until someone swapped the power supply in it, and then it suddenly started constantly boot looping, I replaced the power supply, motherboard, ram, cpu, and even tested different ram sticks, and gpu’s I had lying around, at this point the only thing I haven’t tried is taking the parts and putting them in a different case, the pc no longer boot loops but will now restart three times, turn on a fourth time, but that’s it, no display, no beeping, nothing. I am at a loss on this one and have already had my client waiting for so long and the parts keep racking up the bill, does anyone have any suggestions or should I just call this one a loss and buy a new rig save for the pieces I already have.?

The pc specs are
I5 6500 cpu, gtx 1650, thermaltake 500wpsu, 16gb of ram

Aug 4, 2024
The motherboard was an asrock170 but I had to go with a generic board off Amazon, the Bewinner lga1151 motherboard, anything name brand was outside of the customers price range, I tried disconnecting everything from the board, all drives, gpu, even single ram in both slots swapping between different sticks, my best guess was gonna be trying to flash the bios via usb to see if that would fix my issue, but the generic board makes it difficult to figure out what bios files to use

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have a link to this Bewinner lga1151 board?

For example this monstrosity https://www.amazon.com.be/-/en/Bewinner-Motherboard-Supports-Generation-LGA1151/dp/B0CFYGH14W

It describes 8th/9th gen support and Ivy Bridge but Ivy Bridge socket is 1155. Load of rubbish that is. Curious what this board claims to support and what it actually supports.

When your client swapped power supplies, was the original psu semi or fully modular? If that were the case, hope they replace the cables, bad outcome if didn't and mixed them. I really wonder what they did, might help shed some light on the matter and ideas moving forward.

What were the original components? Many things have been swapped out, it's hard to get sense of what's going on.

Aug 4, 2024
Do you have a link to this Bewinner lga1151 board?

For example this monstrosity https://www.amazon.com.be/-/en/Bewinner-Motherboard-Supports-Generation-LGA1151/dp/B0CFYGH14W

It describes 8th/9th gen support and Ivy Bridge but Ivy Bridge socket is 1155. Load of rubbish that is. Curious what this board claims to support and what it actually supports.

When your client swapped power supplies, was the original psu semi or fully modular? If that were the case, hope they replace the cables, bad outcome if didn't and mixed them. I really wonder what they did, might help shed some light on the matter and ideas moving forward.

What were the original components? Many things have been swapped out, it's hard to get sense of what's going on.
The old power supply was a generic Chinese unmodular 1000w power supply, the original cpu was the same i5 6500 and the one you posted is the right one, should I return it and order a second hand board off eBay?

Aug 4, 2024
This might help find a board, if you can buy from Newegg. Or as reference to search elsewhere. I've filtered to include 100 and 200 series, various chipsets from Asus Asrock Msi and Gigabyte.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?storeId...600567581+50001944+50001315+50001314+50001312
I managed to find a second-hand Asrock board almost the exact same one that he originally had, hopefully, this works, I really am starting to second-guess myself, never thought a computer could cause so many issues

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Id still like to know what they did. Replaced psu, ok, but how was that done and what else did they do. Seems they didn't tell you the whole story. If something is harder than it should be usually means something else is up.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

Aug 4, 2024
Id still like to know what they did. Replaced psu, ok, but how was that done and what else did they do. Seems they didn't tell you the whole story. If something is harder than it should be usually means something else is up.

Good luck, let us know how you go.
Yea I’m not too sure either, all I was told was that the PSU got taken out and put back in and then it would just boot loop over and over again, there’s about 6 kids in the house and the case is missing a USB-port so it's definitely seen better days, my best guess is he wasn't careful taking out the power supply and damaged something or maybe fried the old board, I did notice some one or two bent pins under the cpu for the old board, but I don’t think he would have gone under there

suddenly started constantly boot looping, I replaced the power supply, motherboard, ram, cpu, and even tested different ram sticks, and gpu’s I had lying around,
And in post # 3 you also said you removed the drives. The only thing left is the case. You said it is missing a USB port so maybe that's where the owners issues started.

The last person to jam a USB device into the now missing port could have fries the USB port and that carried over to the motherboard.

But unless you grabbed the front header wiring and hooked it up to the new motherboard not thinking about it to that missing USB port " if it was still in the case" you could have replayed the original default issue leading to the new parts acting just like the old parts.

Unless already said build the new parts out of case on the table to just remove anything from the owners original build that you don't have to use. See if you get life.