Question High idle temps Ryzen 9 5900x

tomafantomas

Honorable
Jan 2, 2018
ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen 9 5900x

After updating the bios (because of usb compatibility issues) from version 3405 to 4403 idle temp increased by 20c from 40-50c to 60-70c
I've tried anything but manually undervolting it.
Voltage is locked at 1.440 even in bios it stays locked, cpu temp in bios varies from 55-60c before update it was sitting at 40-45c

tomafantomas

Honorable
Jan 2, 2018
Once you've performed your BIOS update, did you clear the CMOS? Sometimes the BIOS needs a reset, if your settings in BIOS are manually set, might be a good idea to take them down on a sheet of A4 paper.
No clear CMOS, just loaded the optimized settings

Last edited by a moderator:
What cpu cooler are you using?

AMD's new strategy appears to target higher clocks by driving up temps and voltage by default. This is very apparent in their latest ryzen 7000 series where they target 95c and then boost as high as they can at 95c.

Perhaps they started this strategy with later bios versions on AM4?

tomafantomas

Honorable
Jan 2, 2018
What cpu cooler are you using?

AMD's new strategy appears to target higher clocks by driving up temps and voltage by default. This is very apparent in their latest ryzen 7000 series where they target 95c and then boost as high as they can at 95c.

Perhaps they started this strategy with later bios versions on AM4?
I use the x63 from nzxt

I use an Arctic cooling liquid freezer 2 240mm and mine usually idles I think in the 30s-40s. Highest I see is about 77 with pbo on in cinebench multi core when it is boosting. It’s definitely possible they changed bios settings to make it more competitive before 7000 series came out.

Last edited:

tomafantomas

Honorable
Jan 2, 2018
I had an X52 Kraken from NZXT and it struggled to keep the temps down on my Ryzen 3900x CPU's. It would literally have runaway thermals over 90C during stress tests.

I use Corsair ML fan H115i and H150i on another computer now and have no problem with thermals. I just don't think NZXT coolers are that good.
I wasn't having any issues before, I saw some cases in which people had higher temps after bios update, but no solution. It got to be something that I need to change in the bios to lower the voltage when the CPU isn't used.

If only BIOS was updated and nothing else was changed, then commenting about coolers is pointless. I have $60 air cooler on 5900X (also latest BIOS) and CPU temp is 41°C while I'm typing this -and yes, PC is dead silent.

The only thing that changed at BIOS update, is BIOS settings. That is, I would check fan (curve) settings first.

Bogdan

tomafantomas

Honorable
Jan 2, 2018
If only BIOS was updated and nothing else was changed, then commenting about coolers is pointless. I have $60 air cooler on 5900X (also latest BIOS) and CPU temp is 41°C while I'm typing this -and yes, PC is dead silent.

The only thing that changed at BIOS update, is BIOS settings. That is, I would check fan (curve) settings first.

Bogdan
I manually cleared the BIOS, nothing changed, the fan curve was never changed and I had no problem before.
I tried cinebench r20 and I have 10% less points than I used to have.
High idle temps, 50-60C with temp and frequency spike to over 70C and 4.8GHz and in cinebench never goes higher than 70C and 4 GHz