[SOLVED] high idle temps that are jumping a lot, R7 3700x

Apr 6, 2021
my ryzen 3700x is not doing anything, but the temps that i see in HWmonitor range from 50 to 84c. the temp jumps every 10 seconds or so, in between these jumps the temp follows a countdown patern: 54, 65, 64, 63, 62, 75, 74, 73 , 72, 71, 70, 82, 81, 80, 79, 84 83...

the pc is a prebuilt from lenovo with a cheap looking cooler that looks worse than the stock cooler.

specs:
R7 3700x , B550
16gb 3200MHz
RTX3070

Solution:
managed to fix half the problem, by changing the Ryzen balanced power plan in the control panel.
Advanced settings -> PCIE -> Link state power management -> ON to OFF
and
Processor power management -> Maximum processor state -> 100% to 99% (i don't know if this step was necessary)
This fixed the temperature jumps, now my CPU is stable at 60c (ocationally dropping to 54c or rising to 65c).

I still think that 60c is too high, that is why i wrote that i fixed half of the problem.
The cooler that came with the pc looks so cheap even compared to a stock AMD cooler, so to lower the temps, i have decided to change the cooler to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo 2.

Last edited:
Solution
what polling rate you using in HWINFO?
open sensors page and click settings/
On general tab, change polling to 500, click set and okay, will make the temps more accurate as it may peak at 80's but it shouldn't stay there long

What is temp in CPU CCD1? it ignores the constant increase and decrease and is more the average temp of all cores.

As mdd1963 said, idle isn't a time windows sits doing nothing. It could have tasks it needs to run when it thinks you aren't using PC. It shouldn't always be like that though.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right -...
WHat you consider 'not doing anything' may not actually be the case, as Windows 10 stays pretty busy doing assorted updates, file indexing, SSD TRIM ops, cloud storage syncs, etc., every few seconds in the background...

A quick glance at task manager sorted by processes will show which tasks are staring/stopping in the background which might be causing these spikes, but, if the temp spikes are when certain cores are cranked up in clocks speed to nearing 4 GHz for a few seconds to complete a task, then the temps would be semi-normal.

You mightcheck the BIOS to see if you can set the fan speeds to a slightly higher level, vice having them ramp up only when/if temps hit 75C, etc. if that applies...(better to have them running at 3/4 speed all the time, in my opinion...

Colif

Win 11 Master
ryzen CPU also constantly waking cores just to do 1 task and then put it to sleep again

On general tab, change polling to 500, click set and okay, will make the temps more accurate as it may peak at 80's but it shouldn't stay there long

What is temp in CPU CCD1? it ignores the constant increase and decrease and is more the average temp of all cores.

Apr 6, 2021
maybe its the heat from the gpu not exiting case efficiently, it will heat CPU up as it will go into CPU cooler
The GPU hits 72c max when mining, mosly at 62c. i don't think that amount of heat is enough to make the cpu temp this bad. btw, i am not mining when the cpu hits these temps, so the gpu is probably around 40-50c.

Colif

Win 11 Master

As mdd1963 said, idle isn't a time windows sits doing nothing. It could have tasks it needs to run when it thinks you aren't using PC. It shouldn't always be like that though.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Solution