Question High Packetloss on Default Gaetway

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Hi,

So im getting packet loss while playing dota 2 (every 5mins).

So i run pingplotter to "sgp-1.valve.net" and this is what i got
View: https://imgur.com/KLgJZzo

btw, this test is done with the ff considerations: wired connection using 10m utp cat6; single pc test; tested at night to dawn.

honestly, i dont quiet understand the graphs. i just know, im getting high latency and packet losses from time to time.

thank you so much

That is strange you would think it would have much more effect if you were actually losing 50% to your router.

I would confirm these results by leaving a actual ping command run in a background window to your router IP. This is not real common so you want to be sure before you start buying stuff.

There are not a lot of things that can cause this. Most likely it is a bad ethernet cable. It could also be the router or the pc but that is worse since it seldom is a software issue you generally must replace the hardware.
You can also test a ping to the router from another device. That should isolate it to being the PC.

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
That is strange you would think it would have much more effect if you were actually losing 50% to your router.

I would confirm these results by leaving a actual ping command run in a background window to your router IP. This is not real common so you want to be sure before you start buying stuff.

There are not a lot of things that can cause this. Most likely it is a bad ethernet cable. It could also be the router or the pc but that is worse since it seldom is a software issue you generally must replace the hardware.
You can also test a ping to the router from another device. That should isolate it to being the PC.

yep. i've done continuous ping test on my router just now. i got 0 loss.

so what's causing the packet loss on my game? is it in the game server?

Problem is we can't be sure that the pingplot is correct but if it is it indicates a issue between ISP starting around HOP 9. I suspect neither of these is your ISP. You have few options. Maybe one of the VPN services has a different path between you and the server. There is no way to predict this other than to test it yourself.

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Problem is we can't be sure that the pingplot is correct but if it is it indicates a issue between ISP starting around HOP 9. I suspect neither of these is your ISP. You have few options. Maybe one of the VPN services has a different path between you and the server. There is no way to predict this other than to test it yourself.

sorry. hehe so how do i test it?

If you mean the vpn providers it depends on the vpn provider. Some have very limited trial accounts that have very low caps on the data. Most other have money back policies that you can refund it for a small number of days if it does not meet your needs.

You only try this when you are rather desperate. The so called "gaming" VPN providers tend to be your best options.

You actually have slightly better chance for it to work than someone in the EU or the USA. It could be some undersea fiber got cut and your are on a backup fiber or it is just a overload condition between some ISP. In asia area there is not as much fiber and interconnection between ISP.

Still this may not work. Could be a capacity issue getting out of your country purely because of all the people home who are not normally.