High-Pitched Speaker Noise Just At (re)Boot

JBurnett

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
Hi

My system is a Windows 10, 64bit. I have Bose Companion 5 computer speakers attached to it through a USB connection.

The speakers sound great, good as new, however, they're probably 10 years old. The only problem I'm having, is when I reboot the computer, and it's in the BIOS screen phase of starting up, there is a solid length, high-pitched noise that's definitely coming from the speakers. This happens prolly 85% of the time. If I turn the puck down or up (volume adjustment), the sound goes down or up. If I touch the puck, turning the sound off, the sound goes away. Once it gets to the Windows logon screen it stops, and then everything's fine. I also notice that if I shut the computer down, and unplug it, then start it up, it will never make that high-pitched sound.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Solution
Wish I would have found this out earlier!

A level 2 support agent at Bose said that the Companion 5 Speakers are not compatible past Windows 7 due to a driver insufficiency within Windows. Microsoft is aware of the problem, and should ignore it like most problems they run across in their operating systems (the last part is my comment, not Bose's).

Can a Moderator please mark this as the solution?
If you have the speakers anywhere near your monitor, or close to the pc tower.
And the speakers use an internal amplifier, where you have volume, balance, bass and treble adjustments on them.

Then what you are hearing is electromagnetic feed back from other devices such as the monitor its self,
Or the power supply unit of your system.

Basically the shielding used to cut the effect is missing, or there is very little inside the monitor, or the amplifying unit of the speaker set.

The only answer is to move the speaker setup further away from other devices such as your monitor if positioned closely to it or your system tower.

The sound is frequency related and why it goes away is because for example when in windows the resolution of the monitor is changed, and the frequency it generates then changes to a higher value in Hz or Mhz. operating speed.

Anyway there is the explanation as to why you get the high pitched whine until windows loads and the monitor switches resolution.

The same is for the power supply if the speakers with a combined amp are put too close to the system case, or near the power supply unit of it.

Because the power consumption goes up on the power supply unit when you get to windows desktop for example.

Again the frequency the PSU works at changes because of extra power demand.

JBurnett

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

Thanks for the quick reply Shaun.

I see what you're saying, but unfortunately, I had this same exact setup with my last computer. Except-

The only difference is the tower isn't in the cabinet (too big), which is on the left side of the desk, far away from everything, it's off to the side of the desk on the right side now. It's very close to the power strip / surge protector, where it's power supply, and everything else is plugged into it.. Could this be the culprit?

What still confuses me is why won't it do it if I shut it down, flip the power strip off and back on, then restart it (rather than a reboot)??

Anyhoo, is that noise hurting anything (other than my ears)? I could easily leave the speakers off until it gets to desktop.

Thanks in advance!

JBurnett

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
Wish I would have found this out earlier!

A level 2 support agent at Bose said that the Companion 5 Speakers are not compatible past Windows 7 due to a driver insufficiency within Windows. Microsoft is aware of the problem, and should ignore it like most problems they run across in their operating systems (the last part is my comment, not Bose's).

Can a Moderator please mark this as the solution?

Solution