[SOLVED] High RAM and Paged Pool usage

May 4, 2022
Hello,

My PC has high RAM usage of 13GB+ with mainly just Chrome opened but looking at RAMMAP and Task Manager it doesn't seem to add up. The paged pool is also large at 15GB and grows over time. I've been trying to look for solutions for hours but nothing seems to work for me. Restarting the PC will reduce RAM to about 30%-50% but will climb to 80% after idling or opening a few processes. I've posted screenshots of things that might help. Can someone please help me?

pMkHTIX.png

Poolmon.exe - FMFn is a windows driver while TSSM is from NordVPN.

35U1bks.png

gBK1iiW.png

PLmmIgR.png

BxqK2r3.png

T0c1LTC.png

Solution
A cursory glance tells me that something that you installed is hitting the minifilter driver. Unfortunately there's no definitive answer as to what exactly it could be and the only solution from what I've found when people noticed this was to uninstall something . For one person, it was their AV, for another, they shotgun blasted out apps and the problem went away.

Since NordVPN seems to be sitting up there with high paged pool usage, I would see if uninstalling first that solves the problem. Otherwise you're going to have to start plucking away at drivers or utilities that affect the system in some way (networking, antimalware, etc).

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Motherboard's make and model? BIOS version for said motherboard? OS used? If Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS. To add, can you see what sort of app's are running during Startup?

May 4, 2022
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Here's the info:
Mobo: MSI MPGX570 Gaming edge Wifi (MS7C37)
BIOS Ver.: 1.92 - AMG AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.5
OS Build: 19044.1645

reSKupL.png

RAM Usage seems high after restart 47% usage :(

vyxWre1.png

Processes are sorted by memory usage. The things that are important and missing are MSI Afterburner and Wallpaper Engine

JESbTKN.png

Startup apps.

A cursory glance tells me that something that you installed is hitting the minifilter driver. Unfortunately there's no definitive answer as to what exactly it could be and the only solution from what I've found when people noticed this was to uninstall something . For one person, it was their AV, for another, they shotgun blasted out apps and the problem went away.

Since NordVPN seems to be sitting up there with high paged pool usage, I would see if uninstalling first that solves the problem. Otherwise you're going to have to start plucking away at drivers or utilities that affect the system in some way (networking, antimalware, etc).

Solution
May 4, 2022

Seems like deleting NordVPN reduced RAM usage a lot (9GB vs 13GB from before with the sameish apps opened and 53 chrome processes) and the paged pool seems to stabilise at 800-900MB. It did grow from 700MB to 900MB idling after 30 mins. I'll continue to keep an eye on it in case it does rise again. I'll be marking it solved in a few days to make sure it is fixed.

I also finally found someone with the same problem and removing NORDVPN helped them too.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/why-is-my-windows-using-85-of-ram-40-gb.3756180/?view=date

Thanks for the two of you helping out! 😊

Seems like deleting NordVPN reduced RAM usage a lot (9GB vs 13GB from before with the sameish apps opened and 53 chrome processes) and the paged pool seems to stabilise at 800-900MB. It did grow from 700MB to 900MB idling after 30 mins. I'll continue to keep an eye on it in case it does rise again. I'll be marking it solved in a few days to make sure it is fixed.

I also finally found someone with the same problem and removing NORDVPN helped them too.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/why-is-my-windows-using-85-of-ram-40-gb.3756180/?view=date

Thanks for the two of you helping out! 😊
If this affects your decision to continue using NordVPN, I suggest looking at Proton VPN. Though I use TunnelBear because I'm too lazy to go shopping and I've been using them for a while.

TRENDING THREADS