Question High temperatures even after repaste

Red_8_

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Hello guys,
Since I bought this notebook (Victus 16) I have had problems with the processor temperatures (i5 11400h), in Cinebench I always get 96 degrees Celsius. I've put new thermal paste in 4 times and it always drops the temperatures to 84-86ish for a couple of weeks and then goes back to normal. I have realized that it may be due to a pressure problem that the heatsink produces, because if I spread the paste, I get better temperatures. When cleaning the heatsink from the paste, if I continue cleaning the copper part, the cotton swab ends up black and when unscrewing the heatsink, I can hear grinding coming from the screws. I am trying to find a possible solution that is not momentary.
Also, why when cleaning the heatsink the cotton swab ends up black? when I noticed I stopped immediately.
Any possible solution would be greatly accepted.
Thank you!
Here are the things I have tried:
1.-Pea sized method
2.-Spreading method
3.-Screwing the heatsink in numerical order for better paste distribution
4.-Disable turbo boost (Not ideal)
5.-Undervolting

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of the thermal paste you've used to perform the repasting job? Copper ends up with patina on it's surface, when you use Isopropyl alcohol, it removes the patina off of the copper surface. This is the black you see on your cotton swabs.

How is your laptop setup on your desk space? Place an eraser on the bottom of the laptop to help lift the laptop's rear part off the desk space to allow the fans to breathe in cooler ambient air.

Red_8_

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
I Have tried corsair tm 30, mx 4 and 6.
Yesterday I was researching and found out the term pump out, and that is exactly what is happening, whenever I remove the heatsink barely none of the thermal paste is on the die or the heatsink, all has shift to the sides.
Today I am going to buy the thermal grizzly hydronaut.
I will be updating the result.
Also, is it dangerous to remove the patina of the copper?

I Have tried corsair tm 30, mx 4 and 6.
Yesterday I was researching and found out the term pump out, and that is exactly what is happening, whenever I remove the heatsink barely none of the thermal paste is on the die or the heatsink, all has shift to the sides.
Today I am going to buy the thermal grizzly hydronaut.
I will be updating the result.
Also, is it dangerous to remove the patina of the copper?
So what you're experiencing is pump out effect, which happens with Arctic MX4/5 and others. This happens when there is too low a viscosity and the paste literally degrades in place.

Noctua NT H2 has a higher viscosity and work really well with bare dies which you find under the heatpipe system. TG Kryo is also good on bare dies.

For the black on the swab, firstly I wouldn't use a swab as it can leave lint behind. A lintless cloth or towel is best. Secondly what did you use to clean it? Ideally it should be Isopropyl Alch 99%. This does not leave any residue as it evaporates after a minute or two.

Corsairs Tm30 is pretty awful, I experienced the same issue with my 3090ti, had the stuff laying around an needed to change out a fan so was like screw it, repasted, I was back into the card and changing it out with better stuff. Their XTM70 is pretty good, but annoying to spread. Glad its sorted!