Question High Temps. Is my AIO pump failed?

Feb 1, 2023
Last night, my temps started climbing very fast to 90 degrees. Software side is good. Can anyone tell me if these BIOS settings reveal in fact that my AIO pump has failed? I booted into the BIOS and within a few minutes, up to 72C. BIOS showing the following...

-CPU Fan = 0 RPM @72C
-OPT fan= 1650RPM (I have no idea what OPT fan is)@72C
-System FAN 1 and 2 = 0 RPM @22C
-System fan 3 PUMP=0RPM @22C

Thanks.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Those headers mean nothing without knowing exactly what's plugged into them. If the aio is plugged into cpu_opt, then it's working, if it's plugged into cpu_fan, then it isn't. But other than that, nothing else is registering any rpm, including the case fans.

If the case fans are plugged into sys_fan1/2 and are spinning, yet still reading 0rpm, then it's more likely a motherboard issue than an aio issue.

Feb 1, 2023
Interesting. I had not considered that the motherboard may have failed.

I just opened the case and see that the water cooler radiator wires join together as one and are plugged into CPU OPT.

The wire coming directly out of the pump is connected to CPU FAN.

From what I can see. Nothing plugged into System fan 1 and system fan 3 PUMP.
Something plugged into System fan 2 ( Strange RPM is at 0 in BIOS).

All case fans are moving as is the radiator fans. The pump impeller from what I can see inside the pump viewing window, is motionless. The pump logo light is illuminated however.

For what it's worth, here are some images of my FAN BIOS settings. You'll notice that the first image is a photo I took in 2019. Seems there was RPM on the CPU FAN back then. The following images are of yesterday.

Maybe you can see something I don't.

Last edited:
Last night, my temps started climbing very fast to 90 degrees. Software side is good. Can anyone tell me if these BIOS settings reveal in fact that my AIO pump has failed? I booted into the BIOS and within a few minutes, up to 72C. BIOS showing the following...

-CPU Fan = 0 RPM @72C
-OPT fan= 1650RPM (I have no idea what OPT fan is)@72C
-System FAN 1 and 2 = 0 RPM @22C
-System fan 3 PUMP=0RPM @22C

Thanks.
You missed to disclose which AIO you have. Some work different ways.
Also what's plugged where.
System_FANs = Case fans.
OPT_FAN header is usually tied with CPU?_FAN Most of times they are next to each other.
Another thing to consider is that BIOS setting for each header matches the fan type connected to it. PWM (4 wire) or Voltage control for 3 pin fans.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Take the radiator fan plug and plug that into cpu_fan.
Take the pump wire and plug that into sys_fan3 pump.

Having the fans where the pump is will say whether that cpu_fan header is functional. The fans should spin and give an rpm reading.

The Pump header was unused, so should not be damaged in any way, so will tell if the aio pump has failed.

Sys_fan2 is most likely going to a splitter block of some sort and feeding the case fans.

Every header that has something plugged in should be reading an rpm, makes no difference if it's 3 or 4pin. So not having a reading at all on Sys_fan2 is somewhat troubling as that should be reporting case fan speeds.

Feb 1, 2023
Take the radiator fan plug and plug that into cpu_fan.
Take the pump wire and plug that into sys_fan3 pump.

Having the fans where the pump is will say whether that cpu_fan header is functional. The fans should spin and give an rpm reading.

The Pump header was unused, so should not be damaged in any way, so will tell if the aio pump has failed.

Sys_fan2 is most likely going to a splitter block of some sort and feeding the case fans.

Every header that has something plugged in should be reading an rpm, makes no difference if it's 3 or 4pin. So not having a reading at all on Sys_fan2 is somewhat troubling as that should be reporting case fan speeds.

I will try that. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for your help with this.

Feb 1, 2023
You missed to disclose which AIO you have. Some work different ways.
Also what's plugged where.
System_FANs = Case fans.
OPT_FAN header is usually tied with CPU?_FAN Most of times they are next to each other.
Another thing to consider is that BIOS setting for each header matches the fan type connected to it. PWM (4 wire) or Voltage control for 3 pin fans.

The cooler is an Alphacool Eisbaer 360

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The symptoms you describe CAN be caused by a failed pump. THEN you tell us that the PUMP is plugged into the CPU_FAN header and that reports zero speed. That is a normal connection point but a real indication of pump failure. The rad fans are plugged into the CPU_OPT header which DOES report a relatively high speed consistent with a high temperature inside the poorly-cooled CPU chip. THEN you report you have an observation window in the pump where you can see its impeller NOT turning. THAT all proves your pump has failed an requires replacement.

Regarding your case fans, it appears that none of them are connected to mobo SYS_FAN headers, which is why BIOS shows no speed for items NOT connected to them. It might be interesting to track the wire and find out WHAT is plugged into SYS_FAN2 with no speed measured.

Feb 1, 2023
The symptoms you describe CAN be caused by a failed pump. THEN you tell us that the PUMP is plugged into the CPU_FAN header and that reports zero speed. That is a normal connection point but a real indication of pump failure. The rad fans are plugged into the CPU_OPT header which DOES report a relatively high speed consistent with a high temperature inside the poorly-cooled CPU chip. THEN you report you have an observation window in the pump where you can see its impeller NOT turning. THAT all proves your pump has failed an requires replacement.

Regarding your case fans, it appears that none of them are connected to mobo SYS_FAN headers, which is why BIOS shows no speed for items NOT connected to them. It might be interesting to track the wire and find out WHAT is plugged into SYS_FAN2 with no speed measured.

Indeed. Your assumptions were correct.

I took the computer in today and it was confirmed the pump had failed. I replaced the Alphacool 360 with a Noctua NH-D15S. Whisper quiet and even lower CPU temps than I had. Not sure what all the fuss is about AIO's. I'll stick to air from now on.

I appreciate everyones help.

Indeed. Your assumptions were correct.

I took the computer in today and it was confirmed the pump had failed. I replaced the Alphacool 360 with a Noctua NH-D15S. Whisper quiet and even lower CPU temps than I had. Not sure what all the fuss is about AIO's. I'll stick to air from now on.

I appreciate everyones help.
They are better performance and quieter than the best air coolers with high wattage CPUs.