High temps on Ryzen 7 2700x with AiO

Feb 8, 2019
Hi there.

I recently built a system based on the ryzen 7 2700x. I noticed with its stock cooler the cpu temps were going crazy, even on standby they were 50-60C. I bought a cooler master master liquid 240 AiO liquid cooler and some good quality mastergel pro thermal paste. Still my temps are no where near what I expected them to be. At standby they are between 40-55C sometimes even saw 60 C! I checked my connections on my MoBo but they seem to be correct depending on the tutorials I saw. My motherboard is Asus strix x470-f. I'm assuming it might be something to do with my settings on my motherboard and for some reason I think the core voltage of the CPU is too high. Unless this is normal for the ryzen 7 2700x cpu family, can anyone help me with this problem. I haven't even tried to play a game or do some rendering , God knows what temps I'll get then :(

Seems like my motherboard is automatically tweaking and overclocking things. I just want my CPU to use its default voltage and freq.

My GPU is a Nvidia 1080 ti but I don't think it has anything to do with this problem.

Any help or suggestion would be helpfull, thanks.

Here is a screenshot of my CPUID monitor results.

ps:Is there a way on x470-f to fix my CPU voltage to 1.2V or so ? I assume that would stop the high temp issue. Looks like my MoBo is taking control and making the voltage and freq of the CPU go insane.

2dng61.jpg

That cpu vcore is beyond safe (according to amd) even for an overclocked 2700x. This is a common issue for ryzen systems with auto voltage. For example, when i set my Ryzen 3 to auto voltage, my MSI B350 gaming plus runs mu cpu at 1.35-1.4 volts. I can run my cpu with 600mhz oc at 1.275 volts, way less than the auto voltage even with an overclock. Auto sends way more voltage than needed, even for an overclocked cpu. 1.4 is max for an overlclocked ryzen cpu. Manually Set your vcore to 1.3 volts, check for stablility, and lower voltage making sure its still stable. That cooler should manage temps well within safe range.

Feb 8, 2019
Thanks for your quick answer remixislandmusic. The only problem I'll have with reducing the core voltage is my motherboard. There are way too many parameters and settings which I don't understand to be honest. I'll try n find the exact place on my mobo's bios where I can set my vcore volts.

Feb 8, 2019
I managed to set my VCORE to 1.3V (asus names things differently so it took me some time to figure out where was the VCORE parameter.) Now at standby only my temps dropped to 23-29C which is ideal but again I noticed with simple apps like chrome and firefox etc the temps go to 40C again, I checked on HWmonitor and noticed, yes the VCORE is stable at 1.3 (sometimes 1.325V but never above that) but my CPU frequency goes to 4.1 - 4.2GHZ . The AI tweaking is OC'ing the cpu. I'm going to try n see if I can set my max frequency to 3.7GHZ which is the factory default for my ryzen 2700x CPU.

Feb 8, 2019
You mean it should or shouldn't ? Weird enough I tried to play some games and tried some heavy render tests on blender which was using both the CPU and GPU . Even when my cpu frequency is 4.2ghz the CPU temp is stable at 40-42C. I suppose thats a good sign.

I would not change the cpu frequency to 3.7. According to AMD's website that cpu will run at 3.7ghz and then speed up to 4.1-4.3ghz when the workload needs more speed. Locking your cpu to 3.7ghz limits performance. As long as your cpu is cool and running at a reasonably voltage like 1.3v, this is adding performance and perfectly safe. The cpu is doing what its designed to.

Feb 8, 2019
Thanks for your help. I suppose I'm done with setting it all. After manually overriding my VCORE cpu voltage to 1.3V . My CPU is 30-35C at idle and under heavy stress tests goes up to 63C max and stays there. In games its 45-53C . So I suppose I'm good. One last thing is , I noticed my RAM's are working way below 3000mhz like at 21333 something as default, Shall I fix that at 3200mhz? or does my motherboard; again ; tweak it for me ? Twice in games the pc frooze and had to restart it , I don't know if its from my gtx 1080ti or the settings I've done to my cpu and voltage.

ps: After playing some games I noticed my PC freezes and I have to restart, it can happen in game or when idle . Not sure if its from the voltage settings or something else . If my thermaltake psu wasn't 850w I would say it was from low power but thats not the case. Sometimes after I restart the pc when I log back into windows I get the notification sound as if a new hardware is detected. All drivers and firmware's are up to date with both my mobo and gpu.

ps2: I noticed about similar issues with other people , I suppose it might be a windows 10 1803 update issue or maybe I need to bump up my ram voltage a lil , God knows :)

Thx.

Hmm try stressing your cpu with aida 64 and see if its stable. This sounds like yiur cpu is a little unstable and could use a tiny bit more voltage. If aida 64 returns a hardware fault you could put your vcore to 1.325 and see if the problem goes away. Your 1080ti and psu are unlikely the fault at this stage.
Your ram is prob running at reference speed of 2133mhz. You could enable xmp to set your ram to 3000 or 3200mhz. This will give you way more performance in games. Only do this after your cpu is set to make troubleshooting easier. You may need to bump your ram voltage up if it is unstable at 3200, but only do this if your system has issues after the xmp.

Feb 8, 2019
Hi again.

I did a general system stability test in aida64 after 15mins of full workload no hardware failure error messages appeared and the heat didnt pass 63C. Also did a stability test for the GPU that didnt return with any errors either. Just to be sure did a benchmark for both the cpu and gpu in aida64 and still nothing frooze or crashed. I did all these tests with still the 1.3V Vcore setting. Shall I still change it to 1.325V ? I noticed that the PC isn't freezing at specific situations like when the CPU or GPU is under stress. I could be rendering something or the system might be cool and idle but win10 still freezes. Maybe like other people are complaining, it could be the win10 1803 update who knows.

I'm going to change the VCORE to 1.325 just to see what happens.

ps: I noticed that my VCORE was manually set to 1.325V anyway. I'm sure I've set it to 1.3V but its at 1.325V now and has always been like that while the pc was crashing / freezing. Shall I try to set it to 1.35V maybe?

Feb 8, 2019
I will , I'll see what readings I'll get for my CPU temps. Btw before I set my vcore to 1.325V the vcore used to go down to 0.8V and was around 0.8V and 1.2V at idle and I know it went crazy too like 1.4 1.5V but I did see 0.8V readings. Now its constantly at 1.325V , would that cause any damage to my CPU ? The cpu temperature at 1.325 idle is 32-38C.

Feb 8, 2019
Yup , setting the vcore to 1.35V stopped the freezing. My CPU is a lil hotter compared to the 1.325V vcore but thats 44C instead of 36C at idle and under load its 57C max in games and 65-68C under stress test render tests. So I think I'm satisfied with the results now. Thanks for all your help remixislandmusic.