Question high virtual memory usage instead of ram

Sep 7, 2024
so i just notice that the game that i play was using a 23gb of memory, but then i realize its using a lot of virtual memory instead of the ram (use ram just only 4,5 gb). i got 90fps on max setting but the game really stuttering even sometime its freezing.
but i also have another game that use only 4,5 gb of ram and 24gb of virtual memory, and the game is running totaly fine it get 80-90fps with no stuttering and freezing.
Is it because of the game is poorly optimized?

*all driver are up to date, i dint change the virtual memory setting it in "System Managed Size", dint have a lot running background apps

thx

Spec
CPU: ryzen 5 5600g
Motherboard: asrock b550m pro4 (lates bios update 3.40)
Ram: adata xpg spectrix ddr4 3200mhz
SSD/HDD: vgen hyper m.2 (for os) kingston ssd sata 1tb (for game)
GPU: rx 6600 challenger white
PSU: 1stplayer dk premium 600w 80plus brownze

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to include the name(s) of the mystery games that is drawing so much virtual memory.

i dint change the virtual memory setting it in "System Managed Size"
Have you tried running the games without virtual memory?

so i just notice that the game that i play was using a 23gb of memory, but then i realize its using a lot of virtual memory instead of the ram (use ram just only 4,5 gb). i got 90fps on max setting but the game really stuttering even sometime its freezing.
but i also have another game that use only 4,5 gb of ram and 24gb of virtual memory, and the game is running totaly fine it get 80-90fps with no stuttering and freezing.

*all driver are up to date, i dint change the virtual memory setting it in "System Managed Size", dint have a lot running background apps

thx

Spec
CPU: ryzen 5 5600g
Motherboard: asrock b550m pro4 (lates bios update 3.40)
Ram: adata xpg spectrix ddr4 3200mhz
SSD/HDD: vgen hyper m.2 (for os) kingston ssd sata 1tb (for game)
GPU: rx 6600 challenger white
PSU: 1stplayer dk premium 600w 80plus brownze
Just how much RAM do you have installed and how much is it available at idle. ?

Sep 7, 2024
You might want to include the name(s) of the mystery games that is drawing so much virtual memory.

i dint change the virtual memory setting it in "System Managed Size"
yes its crash immediately

cyberpunk 2077 (high fps, no stuttering but use so much virtual memory)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (high fps, no stuttering but use so much virtual memory)
the first decendant (high fps, stuttering alot and use so much virtual memory)

the first decendant only this game that stuttering a lot, the other game use almost the same amount of virtual memory

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
yes its crash immediately
I'm not surprised. I probably wouldn't disable the Windows Paging File with less than 64GB system RAM. I believe Windows needs a small amount of VM to write crash log reports during a BSOD, so it's best to enable a small amount of VM, even if you've got 128GB+ system RAM

the game that i play was using a 23gb of memory
i also have another game that use only 4,5 gb of ram and 24gb of virtual memory
This could simply be an indication you might benefit from more memory and an upgrade to 32GB system RAM might be in order. I've checked all three games and they should run in 16GB, but how many other programs do you have running in the background. Web browsers can consume GB of RAM if you have lots of tabs open.

I probably wouldn't disable the Windows Paging File with less than 64GB system RAM.
You shouldn't do that at all - EVER.
Disabling virtual memory introduces memory subsystem errors.

game that i play was using a 23gb of memory, (use ram just only 4,5 gb).
but i also have another game that use only 4,5 gb of ram and 24gb of virtual memory

i dint change the virtual memory setting it in "System Managed Size", dint have a lot running background apps
Please show screenshots from Task Manager - Performance/Memory section.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

24GB of virtual memory usage is unnecessary.
Excessively large page file will reduce system performance.
Set virtual memory to custom mode - 1GB initial, 8GB max.

Sep 7, 2024
I'm not surprised. I probably wouldn't disable the Windows Paging File with less than 64GB system RAM. I believe Windows needs a small amount of VM to write crash log reports during a BSOD, so it's best to enable a small amount of VM, even if you've got 128GB+ system RAM

This could simply be an indication you might benefit from more memory and an upgrade to 32GB system RAM might be in order. I've checked all three games and they should run in 16GB, but how many other programs do you have running in the background. Web browsers can consume GB of RAM if you have lots of tabs open.
i dint have background app run or web browser tabs .

what the reason that the game is using so much virtual memory rather than the ram its self? it is because i just have 16 gb ram? So, when the game requires more than 16GB of RAM, it starts using virtual memory? even the ram its self still available?

i dint have background app run or web browser tabs .

what the reason that the game is using so much virtual memory rather than the ram its self? it is because i just have 16 gb ram? So, when the game requires more than 16GB of RAM, it starts using virtual memory? even the ram its self still available?
‚Yes that's exact reason but beside some ram (usually 3-4GB) which windows uses for own needs, only memory overflowing installed RAM are written to virtual/page file memory.

An app is coded using the amount of address space it needs.
It is the job of windows content management to match the actively used pages of virtual memory to the real ram.

Task manager can be misleading if it is used to assess ram use.
Windows stores unused code in ram in anticipation of quick reuse.
If an app tries to access code that is not currently resident in ram, it needs to fetch it from the page file and perhaps write some older data to the page file to make room. That is called a hard page fault and while the fault is not resolved, the app stops dead.
Resolution can be painful if the page file is on a HDD.

When actively running, open task manager, open the resource monitor/memory tab.
Look at the hard fault rate column.
If you see anything much more than zero, you can use more ram.