Higher frequency or more CPUs, which uses more battery?

Weltall

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Hello, I have a THL 5000 cellphone, which is an octa-core one and I'd like to know if its better for me to use a governor that try to use the max frequency of a core, hence using less cores, or if it's better to use more cores with a min frequency.

Which config will use less power and which governor/config is better for me to use, and which app would give me those settings?

Thanks in advance.

Solution

Ahhh..
I would think, any electronic component operating within a certain range (when not pushed to its limit consumes lesser power and is more efficient), as compared to one being pushed to its limit to achieve same results.

My guess is more cores.

Shared and hence less load on each should be more efficient.
More load -> more heat and hence -> more losses -> efficiency decreases.
Shared load ->...

Weltall

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Thank you very much, but I would like to know the answer of this question especifically. My screen brightness is mininum right now and my phone says my game is taking 65% of the battery and the screen only 16%.

I really want to know that, cause every place that I read someone came with a workaround but I never read the answer :'(

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Increase battery life...I can't think of a better solution than ditching your stock OS and installing a custom OS. Then uninstall all unwanted apps. Install firewall and block internet access to all but the essential few apps.

gytisxp

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

Installing a custom os would be quite hard for a phone none ever heard of

Weltall

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I'm using Dimid v3.0 Classic, it's rooted by default. This android OS is a pure kit kat android os.

I just want to know whic scenario uses less battery. For example, 4 cores at 2GHz or 8 cores at 1GHz.

That's my doubt. Thanks in advance!!!

BTW, my cellphone is not that bad. It makes 31.540 antutu points, it has 5000Mah battery, 1565 multicore, 2757 browser and 1002 metal points in Vellamo. It has 2GB ram, gorilla glass 3, its fhd and sony 13Mp f/1.8. It totally fits my needs!

My battery lasts for 40 days on standby. I'm not having problems with the battery. I only have this doubt about frequency and cpu and which governor is best for an octacore cellphone which I can't find the answer anywhere.

Thanks again ^^

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

If thats not possible then, mabe an app freeze app.
Idea is to have max junk apps disabled / frozen / uninstalled along with blocked internet access. (Custom OS would have been ideal)

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Ahhh..
I would think, any electronic component operating within a certain range (when not pushed to its limit consumes lesser power and is more efficient), as compared to one being pushed to its limit to achieve same results.

My guess is more cores.

Shared and hence less load on each should be more efficient.
More load -> more heat and hence -> more losses -> efficiency decreases.
Shared load -> lesser heat and hence -> lesser losses -> efficiency increases.

Maybe someone can confirm on this?

Solution

Weltall

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Thank you very much for your answer! Then I will try to use a governor which prefers lesser frequencies, like Smartass.

Is that correct? Which cpu controlapp should I use?

TRENDING THREADS