Question Higher latency that my friend on the same network.

Pinz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
My friend and I play in the same house on the same internet from the same router and I have a CAT6 cable compared to her CAT5E cable that is twice the length of my cable. Yet I constantly have 50 higher ping than her. Does anyone know what might be causing this issue and how I might go about fixing it. Thank you! Also not exactly sure what more info is relevant here so please just let me know what info you need!

How do you get the ping time from some game or are you using a actual ping command.

Latency is either a distance measurement or delays due to data being held in buffers. In your case it has to be your pc. A cable has no ability to hold or delay data and the data travels at some fraction of the speed of light so the difference in cable lengths is so small you almost can't calculate it much less detect it with simple software.

A ping command is very simple. Since the only difference both your machine share the same path after the router you should see this in your ping time to the router. You generally see maybe 1-3ms to the router on ethernet. If this was wifi then you can see more.

This all makes me suspect this is a game issue. Games will for example get stuck in video rendering and when they finally get out and check for the "ping" packet they blame all the delay on the network when the data has been sitting there waiting to be read.

If you see this when you compare latency between the machine when you use a actual ping command this is going to be something much more strange.

Pinz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
How do you get the ping time from some game or are you using a actual ping command.

Latency is either a distance measurement or delays due to data being held in buffers. In your case it has to be your pc. A cable has no ability to hold or delay data and the data travels at some fraction of the speed of light so the difference in cable lengths is so small you almost can't calculate it much less detect it with simple software.

A ping command is very simple. Since the only difference both your machine share the same path after the router you should see this in your ping time to the router. You generally see maybe 1-3ms to the router on ethernet. If this was wifi then you can see more.

This all makes me suspect this is a game issue. Games will for example get stuck in video rendering and when they finally get out and check for the "ping" packet they blame all the delay on the network when the data has been sitting there waiting to be read.

If you see this when you compare latency between the machine when you use a actual ping command this is going to be something much more strange.
Ok I just got on both of the PCs and used a ping cmd to ping 8.8.8.8 and they both had the exact same ping. So I believe you are correct in your assumption. So far I have noticed it in two different games, them being Dead by Daylight and League of Legends. Do you have any idea what to look at now?

You see all kinds of "fixes" on game forums. You have people saying silly stuff like turning on anti aliasing will reduce latency.

In many cases it is some strange video setting. It could I guess be video driver related so you could try newer and older drivers.

It though can be pretty much any software on the machine. Common ones are firewall and anti virus stuff. You also see those garbage "gamer" network acclerators than come bundled with the bloatware with motherboards and video cards. cfosspeed is a common name for that type of software.

Hard to say maybe the resource manager might give you a clue. Unfortunately it can be very normal for one or more cores to be running at 100% load in many games so the data might not mean much. If you see something other than the game using lots of cpu or other system resource maybe see if it is a program that does not need to be running.

TRENDING THREADS