Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Howdy!

I am looking into purchasing a new HDD as a part of a migration move towards Windows 7. I currently own two Seagate 7200.10 drives, 320GB and 500GB, but over time they have really been filling up with pictures, movies, music and games.

Initially I wanted to go with the 1TB 7200.12, but in terms of price it loses out to the Hitachi.

In terms of bang per buck with respect to storage, the best non-green drive that I can set my eyes on seems to be the Hitachi 7k2000, but it seems hard to dig up any reviews of it. I notice that Toms has done some benchmarks, and it seems to perform rather well and also be a relatively quiet drive.

This drive will be used as the main one, as it should be faster than the 7200.10's, so performance is an issue. It would naturally also hold a lot of storage, being 2TB. So I suppose that I am looking for an all-rounder that is also fairly quiet. Power consumption is not an issue, as I see that nearly all drives use less than 10W, which I consider insignificant compared to that of CPU's and video cards.

Anyone have experiences with the 7k2000?

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I had almost forgotten about this thread.

Initially I wanted to go with the 1TB 7200.12, but in terms of price it loses out to the Hitachi.

In terms of bang per buck with respect to storage, the best non-green drive that I can set my eyes on seems to be the Hitachi 7k2000

That's simply it. I had a look at hard drive prices in terms of cost per GB, and out of the non-green drives, the Hitachi was king. Then I had a look at charts here on Tom's and it seemed to be a fairly decent drive with respect to both noise, throughput and so on.

It doesn't matter now though, because I went ahead and bought it a week ago. So far, so good. The noise level is on par with my Seagates (perhaps a wee bit louder, there seems to be more of a "crunching" sound) and the throughput is a very pleasant performance boost. My own benchmarks seem to match those of Tom's charts. As a result of using it as primary drive the OS feels a fair bit more snappy.