Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 benchmark?

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I've been looking at getting a single 2TB drive for my main computer. Because it will be the system drive, I want it to be fast enough for the job.

In Australia I can currently select from the WD GP 32meg cache, the Seagate 'GP' (runs at 5900rpm) or the hitachi Deskstar 32meg 7200rpm.

I have seen reviews for the WD and seagate (it seems the seagate with its slightly faster spin speed has slightly faster read and write speeds, but has a crap access time compared to the WD, thus I would pick the WD out of these two)

but the Hitachi drive is at 7200RPM and is currently the same price as the WD GP! I have seen the benchmarks for the WD 7200RPM 64m cache drive, and they are impressive, but this drive is not yet available for me to buy, and if it was, I would worry that the price would be quite a bit higher than the Hitachi.

So, I was wondering, has anyone seen any reviews, benchmarks of the Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000?

Anyone know how it stacks up next to the WD GP and/or WD black?

sub mesa

Distinguished
If this is the 5-platter monster Hitachi announced some long time ago, then i wouldn't touch it. Too much heat. Getting a 5400rpm is more in line with a 2TB disk; since it will likely be used with large files and the I/O is probably sequential.

Picking the WD Green, Samsung F3 or Seagate 7200.12 series may be a better choice.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Yeah it's the 5-platter one. Although I haven't seen WD and Seagate 7200rpm ones on market, they're 4-platter and comes with 5yr warranty (enterprise warranty is back for desktop drives :D)

$/GB wise I'd rather grab four 1TB and make a RAID 10 array out of it, or RAID /parity is used for pure data archival.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
yeah, multiple drives in raid seem obvious for my needs, but I really would rather just one drive. thanks for info on the platter count and warranty, 5 years would be sweet!

and yeah, again this is a system drive, and only drive, so random access is probably more important than 'bandwidth'

funny thing about the WD black, usually umart gets stuff pretty instantly, yet the first I've heard of this drive in Aus is on the radio... nova ad... didn't mention price, said they were having a comp or something...

tjaisv

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Regarding the original poster's question, here are some benchmarks from a user review on newegg for the Hitachi 7K2000 drive:
Read 130-230 MByte/s
Write 100-160 MByte/s
Random seek 77 IOP/s
Sequential read outer 206.855 MByte/s
Sequential read middle 191.884 MByte/s
Sequential read inner 115.204 MByte/s
Burst rate 135.344 MByte/s

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
For a system drive:
Do NOT take a 5400rpm.
Do NOT make a Raid-0 : slower than a single disk.

230MB/s is just false. Some forum would be more reliable than Newegg!

Over 2TB disk OR Raid capacity, you should check first if your OS and your Mobo+Bios can make use of it!
For instance, Xp can't. Nor can the ICH8 and before, nor the ich9m-e, ich10d...

As well, a 5-platter (or rather 4, isn't it) disk makes more noise and is slightly less agile than a 1-platter disk. But probably more convenient to you.

Don't pay attention to disk temperature, it's unrelated to reliability.

ZebeDeuS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
http://www.hardware.info/nl-BE/productdb/bGlka5iXmJrKYMg/viewproduct/Hitachi_Deskstar_7K2000_2TB/

Those benches are much more likely.

CBRworm

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
I have all the drives you mention.

My take is that the WD Black 2TB drive is the king of the heap by a large magin - mostly due to good firmware and fast access times. And it costs twice as much.

The hitichi is below this. Throughput is not quite as good, but close. Firmware optimization is not very good, but overall random I/Os are dealt with pretty well.

The 5,900 rpm seagate performs very well for a low rpm drive. Not up to the hitachi, but much better than the WD green High throuput, good firmware, reasonable access times.

I have multiple WD20eadS drives - none of them perform anywhere near the published numbers. with AAM set to performance I can't get random access times down below 20ms. These are just too slow.

all of these drives except the hitachi have 4 500gp platters, the hitachi has 5 400 gb platters. There are pros/cons for each. The hitachis do need airflow

For an OS drive, the WD black is the way to go.

Second option would be an 80gb intel G2 SSD and a hitachi or Seagate 2tb drive for storage, this would cost only a little more than the WD Black drive.