Hitachi Fires Up Second-generation Terabyte Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So, 1.2 million hour MTBF (= 136.9 years) with only 5-year warranty....
Why not give it a lifetime warranty if they are sooo reliable?

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]anonymous99[/nom]So, 1.2 million hour MTBF (= 136.9 years) with only 5-year warranty....Why not give it a lifetime warranty if they are sooo reliable?[/citation]
Bookkeeping reason I'd assume. Imaging how it would look if you have a 100 year old liability.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
They said at the top of the article that there was no performence increase but in the middle they say that the disk density increased from 200G/platter to 333G/platter. If the platters are still spinning at 7200rpm, how does that not give a performence increase? Is there something Im missing?

beerzombie

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I was wondering the same thing, blackened144. I'm curious if these perform as well as the samsungs, and how the power savings factors into that. If I can get the same performance, and consume less power (and generate less heat/noise) I'd easily opt for these at a slightly higher price (especially w/ the enterprise 5yr warranty/larger buffer option)

I guess we'll have to wait till they're officially reviewed (as this seems like just a press release rehashed)

storageinventor

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Although the density for each platter has increased, the number of platters has decreased. This means that the number of data blocks per cylinder is roughly equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.