Hitachi Says Data Lives Forever in Quartz Glass

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mynith

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
The problem with such long-term storage is obsolescence. A flash drive will, at room temperature and unused, last much longer than computers with USB-ports ever will. Same goes for ssd's and SATA. You can still buy compact audio cassettes in some places, but no one will sell you a brand new cassette deck. In a way, every kind of information will at some point have to be copied from one type of media to the next. Let's all just be happy that these days it can be done digitally, and lossless. And no. CD-like density isn't enough for a new format this day and age, and calling it indestructible seems like a bit of a stretch. It'll be interesting to see what it develops into, but density and redundancy will always be better than longevity.

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]"Crystal Tokyo"...[/citation]
Bluray/DVD/CD are mechanical aswell since they require the disk to be spinning at all times, what he's saying is that the read/write speed would be about the same as an optical disk. The advantage being that the data stored is permanent.

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
I will be looking out for this in the future, but more research definately needs to be done to ensure that more data can be written at a time on this medium

jdlobb

Honorable
May 16, 2013
I think most of you are missing the point of this technology. The ideal utilization definitely won't be soccer moms storing pictures of their kids first steps. This tech will be used for archiving historical documents of real importance, shooting genome maps into deep space, or building 100% non-corruptable integrated software for systems with zero room for error. And nearly any of these implementations will require considerably less data density than MP4s of Iron Man 3.

G

I'd hate to know that now there can be viruses you cant delete that last for a thousand years with a hunter/killer programming like the termernator programme of apples

G

I'd hate to know that now there can be viruses you cant delete that last for a thousand years with a hunter/killer programming like the termernator programme of apples

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006

Ever heard of DLP? Micro mirrors used there are not moved by any motor and they move the laser beam.
Also look out the Pico Laser Projector... has no motor in it... and SONY has some SACD devices where disc is not spinning when read...

jowunger

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Didn't I hear that tune "...data can seemingly exist forever, enduring extreme temperatures and hostile conditions without degrading.... already 20 years ago when the CD came out? let time tell...

Status
Not open for further replies.