Hollywood Screenwriter Calls Diablo 3 Story "Weak"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]I agree with him but dude...he wrote some crappy screen plays based off what is mentioned in the article.[/citation]
The guy probably makes x20 as much as you do writing "crappy screen plays". Burger flippers.

I didn't think anyone bought Diablo for the awesome story, if I remember right, none of the Diablo games have had that great of a story, it's more of a loot rush that never quite gets satisfied.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]ironmb[/nom]The guy probably makes x20 as much as you do writing "crappy screen plays". Burger flippers.[/citation]

And your point?

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jossrik[/nom]I didn't think anyone bought Diablo for the awesome story, if I remember right, none of the Diablo games have had that great of a story, it's more of a loot rush that never quite gets satisfied.[/citation]
Not only that but even the devs said that the story was secondary to the game play. They didn't want it to get in the way of slaying demons. That's why the player was mostly an observer, and the game didn't have Mass Effect style conversation system.

It would be different if Diablo 3 was marketed as an epic story driven game.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
lead developer of the BF3 he said this

"diablo is definitely not exactly Cormac McCarthy. The world lore is good to frame the clicking. That is about it"

this response came from what i said,

"i'm just trying to get the storyline in order before i start playing...i'm reading up on the Lore summary."

peroludiarom

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
First of all - yes, the game play is leading development point, but lets be honest - we have to say about the hole game - it is crap right now, and it will be like that until (may be) patch 1.1 (planed for end-of-year).

And after all - we don't have neither story line nor good game play. THANKS BLIZZARD, I WILL BUY YOUR NEXT GAME FOR SURE!

biggiebody

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
[citation][nom]ironmb[/nom]The guy probably makes x20 as much as you do writing "crappy screen plays". Burger flippers.[/citation]
I always find it stupid and annoying when someone says something like this every time somebody gets criticized. "So and so makes more money or so and so won this, what have you done...etc." That has nothing to do with anything. Crappy is crappy whether they make more money or won something before.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]jossrik[/nom]I didn't think anyone bought Diablo for the awesome story, if I remember right, none of the Diablo games have had that great of a story, it's more of a loot rush that never quite gets satisfied.[/citation]
Yeah, but a good story always adds to a game and since it is Blizzard we are talking about, it's not like they didn't have the time or resources.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]biggiebody[/nom]I always find it stupid and annoying when someone says something like this every time somebody gets criticized. "So and so makes more money or so and so won this, what have you done...etc." That has nothing to do with anything. Crappy is crappy whether they make more money or won something before.[/citation]

not only that but if you ever read a screanplay, jesus... are those things badly written, even by the best... mainly because its assumed that the thing will be severely changed from point you hand it in to movie out... but wow.

that asside. i really wish there was a diablo like rougelike game.
you know, an armor slot for every body part, earings, rings, all that crap, skill trees and so many resists and checks that even people into the game has a hard time keeping trask of it all... but the game is real time, like diablo, and has diablo style combat, instead of turn based combat, and the game was meant to be a how long can you survive, instead of a go here to here win than do it again.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Story telling wasn't very strong in the older Diablos, but the stories themselves were pretty good. Diablo 3 has a boring, predictable, kiddy-grade story and characters. Instead of showing and letting the player play through events, everything is just told ( often by the villains no less ).

Not to mention, the game has some serious flaws in skill, progression and itemizattion departments as well. The fact that this has a WoW team behind it really shows on many of the decisions. The basic hack slash elements are pretty fun, but even there it's got some problems with hit detection etc.

suture

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
heh, again with Diablo 3 news on tom's hardware, its just my impression or ppl love to bash on blizzard games?
Weird cause i never see them criticize a sh**** netcode on a recent beat'em'up or a sucky gameplay in a action/adventure game, or dunno.. a crappy story on a recent shooter.

Menigmand

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Why do game developers think we need a story in games?

Either do a good story, or just leave it out completely and focus on making a good game.

The old C64 and Amiga games rarely had any story, so I just used my imagination while playing.

Also, newer games like ICO have had very little story built into them, and I found that game to be very meaningful regardless.

The old Diablo 1 game basically had a story that said "Go to hell and kill the devil". That is enough :)

(I personally love a good story, it's just that either you write one, or you don't. "There is no try".

most of the plot by merely being an observer, listing to NPCs as they talk back and forth
Err, listening? That doesn't seem like a typo...

Anyhow, seriously Charlies Angels (his only story credit)? And he criticizes Diablo III's writing? Black. Kettle. Pot. Calling.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Movie scripts are different from gaming scripts. A game is not a movie and if it was to be made into a movie, it'll be sh!++y like Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Mario, Double Dragon, Resident Evil, and so on.

John August sucks ass himself too! *COUGH*Which he does with his husband*COUGH*. His movies and scripts sucks and never made it to the top 10 on Theater box office gross. Nothing like Terminator 2, Avatar, Transformer, and so on. What makes his comment so important? I can understand if James Francis Cameron was commenting Diablo 3 or even Micheal Bay or Paul W. S. Anderson.

Stay in your field of movie scripts (which sucks) and don't try to jump into the gaming script. That's two different world for you.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]dauntekong[/nom]Movie scripts are different from gaming scripts. A game is not a movie and if it was to be made into a movie, it'll be sh!++y like Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Mario, Double Dragon, Resident Evil, and so on. John August sucks ass himself too! *COUGH*Which he does with his husband*COUGH*. His movies and scripts sucks and never made it to the top 10 on Theater box office gross. Nothing like Terminator 2, Avatar, Transformer, and so on. What makes his comment so important? I can understand if James Francis Cameron was commenting Diablo 3 or even Micheal Bay or Paul W. S. Anderson.Stay in your field of movie scripts (which sucks) and don't try to jump into the gaming script. That's two different world for you.[/citation]

wait a damn minute!

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
LOL Hollywood known for there shitty writing and not just that, but turning anything they get there hands on into UTTER BULLSHIT (i'm insulting genuine bull made manure here), calls something Shit. Story never really was a forte of the game lets be realistic here, if you want story go play Gothic, Mass Effect, hell even GTA (yes im playing GTA4 just because i'm curious of its story and what they can come up as a mission with so far not impressed ) but Diablo is a hack&slash game period the story is just there as a small distraction and maybe make you hate the things you are killing more.

edwarddc

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
"Still, the plot itself seems secondary when it should be just as important as the exploration and sword-swinging"

Wrong! Exploration and "sword-swinging" are also secondary. The focal point and the only thing that really matters is the auction house, at least from the blizzard's viewpoint

G

We get it. TomsHardware doesn't like Blizzard, or Diablo. Do we really need to bring this up every few weeks?

Oh wait, you're trolling for pagehits again. My mistake.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
First of all--Charlie's Angel's movies? Please... Second of all, we're talking about games, not movies/plays/books. Some sort of storyline is important, but that doesn't mean there can't be logical/practical fallacies that give way in order to allow for gameplay. Giving the user a feeling of immersion is important--you can do that with a realistic/compelling storyline, or you can do that with compelling gameplay--they're not mutually-inclusive.

Guess this guy never heard of "crappy" games like Wolfenstein or Duke Nukem that made millions with essentially no storyline at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.