Hollywood, This is How You Make a Game-Based Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkant1n

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Valve can make good movies: Half-Life, Portal, Left4Dead and why not a 3d animated Team Fortress.

Still waiting for that Warcraft and Zelda movies

G

IMPRESSIVE! I'd sure pay to see a full length Portal film by these people and with that actress!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Starcraft 2 would be awesome replacement for Starwars. i kinda hate George lucas now. Seriously 6 episode only? if he dont feel like making it sell the rights to someone who will I want my starwars movies.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
What I don't understand is why the game industry needs hollywood at all, why can't don't they just make a movie themselves, it's just a long ass cutscene.

Just higher a director, writer and a producer say here are some animators, sound guys, couple of engineers and say "don't suck"

zszabo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
> Take the recently-released Portal: No Escape as a good example: > it may only
> be seven minutes long, but those seven minutes are way better than a few
> agonizing hours some unnamed game-based movies have forced us to endure.

Could it be because it's a lot easier to fill 5:30 minutes with a non-descript, "ominous" setting and follow up with some whizbang effects, than it is to make a feature length film that ipso facto has to string viewers along with at least some semblance of a coherent plot?

Conversely, if you extended this to even 30-40 minutes at its current level of plot/character development, people would be far more apt to call it hackneyed and banal in a way that made a Judge Dredd vs. The Expendables cross-over appear profound and intellectually engaging, by comparison.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Valve could make millions off of a Half Life + Portal movie campaign. I would go see them even if they were halfway decent. Good stuff I can only dream of...

G

@captainnemojr
There is a fan made Zelda movie out there, it's ok but not up to the standard one would hope. Nintendo caught wind of it just as it was being released and shut it down about a week after it was released. You can still find it floating around on the net but I doubt it'd be easy to find as it was released a while ago

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]captainnemojr[/nom]That was awesome. I'm still waiting for a Zelda or Half-Life movie to come out that doesn't suck.[/citation]
fixed

klfrosty

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]zszabo[/nom] Could it be because it's a lot easier to fill 5:30 minutes with a non-descript, "ominous" setting and follow up with some whizbang effects, than it is to make a feature length film that ipso facto has to string viewers along with at least some semblance of a coherent plot?Conversely, if you extended this to even 30-40 minutes at its current level of plot/character development, people would be far more apt to call it hackneyed and banal in a way that made a Judge Dredd vs. The Expendables cross-over appear profound and intellectually engaging, by comparison.[/citation]

Excuse me. Could you get out of my head please? I was about to create a post just like yours until I read what you had typed. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

G

When one of these youtube videos are an hour and a half long with an actual story then i'll be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.