Question Home Fiber Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2023
Hey, I am swapping to Fiber optic internet. Would I need a Fiber modem or is there another device i need?

You will always need some kind of device to get any kind of internet into your house.

Your pc and most home routers uses ethernet which can only go 100 meters. Since few people live in the ISP office you need a different technology to get the signal between the ISP office and your house. There is always a device that will convert the cable/fiber/radio signal to ethernet.
People commonly call this type of box a modem even when it technically a different device because it performs a similar function. For fiber they put in a box commonly called a ONT but that just means optical network terminal but that is also a very generic name since there are many types of fiber.

You likely don't have to worry about it the ISP will provide it. I have seen posts on this forum from people who live in India who buy routers with optical ports. In that case the ISP should have a list of routers that work on their system.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I know with AT&T at least, the modem/router is provided as part of the monthly cost. They do not bill the unit separately, so it is basically free.

You can go with your own router with an optical input, but I haven't seen much need to do so in this case. Pros would be better security since the provided units will be the most likely to be compromised. Con would be the initial setup.

When I had comcast they did bill separately for the modem, so I bought my own netgear DOCSIS 3.0 unit and saved $8 a month, which paid for itself before the introductory price was up. With comcast they don't properly provision non-standard units, bandwidth increases I always had to call in for. They expected people to use their model, so would only send update signals that effected them.

Status
Not open for further replies.