Question Home network switch recommendations.

Dec 4, 2022
Looking for recommendations for home network switch to start out with.
ISP provided modem.
House - 12 wired Ethernet stations throughout the home for TV's, printers, gaming consoles, desktops.
Garage/Shop - Buried 2 cat6a cables to shop approx. 120m from house. I would like to setup wireless access point and a couple hardwired stations in the shop.
Would also like to setup a few security cameras at house and shop on the network. Haven't looked into that much yet weather I just plug into the switch Poe ports or is it a seperate system all together.

Home network application, nothing requiring extensive data transfering.
Budget under $200.

Please help with ur recommendation. Obviously my main concern is the distance from house to shop.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

Is your distance really 120 meters. That is going to be a problem. Ethernet is only rated to go 100 meters.

Security camera get messy because many use proprietary forms of PoE and require you plug them into their controller. Others support the more standard form of poe 802.3at/af and can be power by a switch. It gets even more messy when it comes to the software. Many of these cameras only work with the same manufacture controller even if they can be powered by PoE.

Your budget is ok for say a 16 port switch but with poe requirement you likely would be better off getting say a 5 port poe switch and a simple 8 port switch and plug them together to cut the cost.

I think your largest issue is going to be the distance. Even if you get it down to say the 100 meter limit you have to be careful about the term "poe". Most proprietary forms of poe will not go that distance only the standard 802.3at/af form is certified to go that distance.
If that really is your distance you are going to have to use other technology. They make forms of private DSL that will run over longer wire but it is rather slow compared to ethernet. If you for example ran conduit you could pull the ethernet out and run fiber. You can't of course power devices over a fiber cable.

Dec 4, 2022
Thanks for the great advice.... The run to my shop does not need to be Poe. I thought I read that some of these switches have an "extend" function that can send up to like 300m but knocked down to 10/100 and not at gigabit speeds, no?
As for cameras, I figured I would just have to buy a full kit with their controller utilizing one of my switches LAN ports, correct?

Have a good day.
Bob

There is so much variation between security cameras. Mine have no dependency on any controller and I use the blue iris software for storage. There are special forum sites that talk about security cameras it is a rather complex topic...you of course can just buy consumer crap like ring if you want.

It has been a long time since I looked into a switch that has the ability to go beyond 100 meters. Cisco commercial switches used to do this but I am sure by now there are better and cheaper versions. From what I have seen they all pretty much use a private form of DSL. DSL is fairly slow but if they were to do stuff like VDSL2 using 2 pair of wires rather than 1 you might get over 100mbps.

I do not know if there is any standard implementation of this that is sold to consumers. You will find lots of extremely expensive stuff sold to say a telephone company.

I know it exists but I can't provide much guidance to choosing a solution.

If you had asked before you ran the cable you could have run a fiber cable for not a lot more. Most the effort is digging and burying stuff not so much the technical.