Home router setup with no modem password

Deputy_Dim

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm out here in the phils try to get a router to agree with our modem out here. Basically there is an existing dsl connection that they would like to stick a wireless router on. Simple enough. Not really... The normal put the modem into bridge mode and use the router to do the PPPOE login isn't possible... Not only is the modem locked up with a password that nobody knows so I cant get in to configure it, the modem ,according to the phone company, doesn't support a bridge mode. They want me to buy their stuff and pay for a tech to come out and set it up. There has to be an easy way to use keep the PPPOE login based off the modem and use the router to split up the connection, I'm just too dim to think of it I guess. Thanks in advance for helping.

I don't understand why you need to use the router to handle PPPoE login if the modem already does it. If a static IP address is provided, set the WAN port of your router to that IP address and use whatever non-routable IP range you need/want internally. If your ISP provides a dynamic IP address, then you have an issue.

Deputy_Dim

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Got it working, changed router IP to 192.168.2.1 to avoid conflicts, set it to DHCP and plugged the modem into the internet port. Had earlier set the IP to 192.168.1.2 to try to dodge the modem IP but I guess the DHCP on the modem wasn't too hot with the idea so I had to pull it up a little more. Just noticed that PPPOE pass through is enabled, not sure if that is relevant at all but not going to fix something that isn't broken.