Build Advice Home Server Project

Jul 1, 2022
Hello all, I created a thread days ago from today's date about a server project that I am currently working on. Mention that I had a previous account I can no longer access to and it was named Sagimine1.

I am reposting this request once more. Currently have the HDD and the power outlet purchased and acquired.
Now there some components that I am still need in order to get this project completed.

Chassis - Looking for Small to Mid Server Towers for longevity
CPU - Seeking AMD based will avoid Intel like a plague
Motherboard - Mini or Regular that are pro server functions (too many variations)
RAM - ECC capable is a must
PSU - 1000 W maybe but must at least bronze rated
OS - Linux/Unix based preferred, if Microsoft not recommended
Any other items that might be needed for the project

Thank you for those reading this request and have a great day,

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all, I created a thread days ago from today's date about a server project that I am currently working on. Mention that I had a previous account I can no longer access to and it was named Sagimine1.

I am reposting this request once more. Currently have the HDD and the power outlet purchased and acquired.
Now there some components that I am still need in order to get this project completed.

Chassis - Looking for Small to Mid Server Towers for longevity
CPU - Seeking AMD based will avoid Intel like a plague
Motherboard - Mini or Regular that are pro server functions (too many variations)
RAM - ECC capable is a must
PSU - 1000 W maybe but must at least bronze rated
OS - Linux/Unix based preferred, if Microsoft not recommended
Any other items that might be needed for the project

Thank you for those reading this request and have a great day,
From what I have read, the 500 series motherboards with a 5000 series CPU support ECC. Not many people choose ECC RAM because it is slower than typical desktop RAM.

Jul 1, 2022
From what I have read, the 500 series motherboards with a 5000 series CPU support ECC. Not many people choose ECC RAM because it is slower than typical desktop RAM.

How slow are we speaking in regards to the ECC vs non-ECC RAM? If the reduction of speed is not terrible then I will go for it since ECC was specially made for long tern usages. Which may explain its slow speed; just my speculation.

The server project does not a specific theme at the moment. Just trying to create one to educate myself and also reduce reliance of third party hosting as much as possible.

The motherboard are the 500 series and the CPU AMD based are the 5000 series that support ECC RAM usages?

What would a budget yet reliable motherboard and CPU should I be looking into?

As I understood the server RAM can as minimal as 8GB, I do not need to go too crazy. What would be best for longevity? Thinking at least 7-10 years range.

kanewolf

Titan
How slow are we speaking in regards to the ECC vs non-ECC RAM? If the reduction of speed is not terrible then I will go for it since ECC was specially made for long tern usages. Which may explain its slow speed; just my speculation.

The server project does not a specific theme at the moment. Just trying to create one to educate myself and also reduce reliance of third party hosting as much as possible.

The motherboard are the 500 series and the CPU AMD based are the 5000 series that support ECC RAM usages?

What would a budget yet reliable motherboard and CPU should I be looking into?

As I understood the server RAM can as minimal as 8GB, I do not need to go too crazy. What would be best for longevity? Thinking at least 7-10 years range.
I think you need to refine your requirements.
You need a purpose for this host. Why? That will drive hardware requirements.
If you want to "learn", then buy a used commercial server. Then learn about redundancy with hot swap power supplies, out-of-band management, SAS disks, even reserved DIMMs for failover.

Jul 1, 2022
I think you need to refine your requirements.
You need a purpose for this host. Why? That will drive hardware requirements.
If you want to "learn", then buy a used commercial server. Then learn about redundancy with hot swap power supplies, out-of-band management, SAS disks, even reserved DIMMs for failover.

Understand your advice, I prefer building my own. Yes buying a used sound nice, I still prefer building my own. In the same respect I my own pc. As for the why, I stated that I want to reduce the reliance of third party hosting. For a bit more context; creating a cloud network for private use. If that clarified anything for you.

And at the other end of kanewolfs recommendations, a "home server" is just a PC with shared folders and enough drive space.

Fair enough, I want to build it professional with an actually server operating systems with the proper devices to achieved it optimal function. Home use then if I want to expand beyond that now I can with the knowledge acquired. Then I can experiment with cloud ideas, network ideas, virtualization ideas. Without the constant need of a third party.