Home Wifi Not Working

Wobble107

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
The internet isn’t working. The problem happens on my PC (All of the time). My Phone sometimes does it. Other Laptops and desktops do it too. When I try to connect to google websites everything works fine (Slow but fine). YouTube, Gmail, Google Searches (Lists Only) & Others. But if I try to connect to ‘https://paypal.com’ or ‘https://tomshardware.com’ it says either “Connection Failed” or “Server Not Responding” Yet it also says I am connected in Settings. We did recently get a new router but the problems didn’t start for a while after the new router (Net-Gear Nighthawk x6). I have reset the router and the modem and gotten nowhere. I have absolutely no idea what to do when it comes to the internet. Being directly connected via Ethernet to either the router or modem work.

Thanks,
Lewis W

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

I dont know much, but how far away are you from your moderm when you are using wireless? Have you checked to see whether all the "packets" are getting through?

Wobble107

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014

Modem and router are less than 10 meters away(from desktop). How would I check to see if the packets have gotten through.
Thanks,
Lewis W

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

Try to "ping" a website. For example. Go to "Command Prompt" and type Ping www.google.com and then command prompt should tell you if all your packets went through.

Wobble107

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014

Hello,
I'm getting strange results. On two desktop computers and a laptop I am just getting "Timed Out" however both get a reply when connecting to google services eg gmail or youtube. Facebook is also getting a reply but wont load on the browsers.... Could it be a firewall in the router?

Thanks,
Lewis W

Wobble107

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014

I have the router that came with my internet package (SKY HUB) but the wireless is disabled and is being used as the modem connected to a NetGear Nighthawk X6 R8000. Router Is Up to date.
Hope this helped.

Thanks,
Lewis W

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

When you "ping" google (you only need to ping one website), was that on the wireless? or on the ethernet? Because i should have mentioned that you must perform the test using the wireless.

If you used the wireless without the ethernet, then my best suggestion is that something on your modem is either broken or not configured properly to accept the wireless.

Wobble107

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah that was on wireless. Should I try to reset the modem to default settings?

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

I would reset to default settings, but i am at the limit of my knowledge and cannot think of anything to fix the problem.

Wobble107

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014

Okay thanks for helping :)

Lewis W