Home workstation with great CPU power at reasonable cost

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thomas Lechner

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
2 more issues popped up.
1. the workstation does not fully boot linux. ubuntu 16.04 live usb stick starts booting until the splash screen, then black screen and that is it. period. Similar issue with that Partedmagic live, only it has no splashscreen.
2. under windows, running the prime95 blend test for 3 hours with no issues, suddenly some strange power standby mode was activated, a login screen appeared and fan rotation stopped instantly. Set then the energy options to high performance, but still not sure if I got inactivated all of the energy modes like standby, hibernation ,sleep, screenoff and whatever,
Think I can fix that second issue although progress is suffering - the linux issue is still a mystery to me, since I know that the usb live sticks are good, they can boot another computer.

Thomas Lechner

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
Meanwhile I have successfully installed ubuntu 16.10 plus nvidia-367 driver.
I set up ubuntu to have a swap partition on the SSD (~30GB), but set swappiness to only 5, since I am using less than half of the 64GB under even the most demanding situations and I don't want to wear out the SSD too fast for no reason. System looks good and stable now.
I connected the 4K 43" screen and exactly the second when I had it set up right to 4K 60Hz RGB 4:4:4, I lost any understanding for why there is still many guys who are happy with less resolution than that. Will never go back to any prehistoric standard like full HD or even 2560x1440 etc..
(except for the late2012 iMac I still own).
RawTherapee is up and running (I compiled it from source to have max performance - quite a fight against many error messages like packages not found) - I have almost 6Megapixel in the preview and working in the 100% full render pipeline preview is still acceptable / not 100% fluent but OK.
A minor issue I have is that the Nvidia X Server driver tool provides the ability to enable temporal dithering to "8 bit per channel", but not to 10. Since the screen can display 8 bits natively, temporal dither should bring it up to an effective 10 bit per channel, not 8 - but still 8 bits is the max I can set up in the drop down when dither is enabled - Why?
Next is the Samsung screen itself (btw: Samsung announced to buy harman group today): when I set the input to "PC" mode, it will "forget" this during the next boot, so that I will have it to re-set it to PC mode every reboot, otherwise some strange picture alterations come into play, that can lead to a foto being displayed completely differently (inconsistent) dependent on what color the surrounding screen content is or has been - not acceptable for foto editing. In PC mode, that screen is just great w/o calibration, when set on "warm2", otherwise too cold.
Next on the shopping list for this system is the UPS (some 1500VA or 2000VA model), some portable but very fast 4TB 2.5" data disk (plus second disk for backup) and some high end sound system (still to be defined). I am thinking of the focusrite scarlett and some highest end DSP controlled 10" two way active speakers. More fitting to my budget would be the Lexicon alpha Studio plus a pair of EV ETX-10P at best. Let's see.