Question Homebuilt PC worked great, but now it won't POST with both ram sticks installed ?

Govdubz

Reputable
May 7, 2020
OK so I know this problem has been posted a few time and I have checked them all (I think at least). I'm hoping I just missed something but here it goes....

I built my first pc about a year ago and had relatively no problems until now. The list of components is:

msi x570 carbon pro gaming wifi mobo,
msi treo 2070 super GPS (choked the 3000 series came out right after 😞),
g.skill 3600 8x2 ram F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX,
WD black 1tb m.2 SSD,
8tb barracuda HDD,
Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply,
then case and rgb gimmicks etc.

Everything was great, worked perfect for almost all games maxed out minus ray tracing, life was good.... then 2 weeks ago I turn on the living room TV (my monitor) and nothing just solid black screen. So not too worried I just hard booted and sat down awaiting the same old startup, but it never came. I go back to the case and look in the glass side to see if anything stood out wrong and to my horror the cpu and ram POST lights where on. So I did the first logical thing I could think of and interrogated my kids to find out who was messing with the thing.... After I did that and came to my senses that it wasn't them I scoured the internet for advice.

So to keep from babbling any longer what I have discovered is that both ram stick will work the a2 slot independently but 2 installed and it won't post. I figured it was a bad slot and ran out to buy another msi x570 carbon gaming pro wifi mobo. Switched everything out, checked the cpu for any bent pins or leaked thermal compound and it was clean. Checked the ram sticks, gpu, hdd and ssd for any issues with a hand held microscope and everything looked fine. Tried to start her up again and same exact thing.... 🤬....

I just now completed the memtest program on each stick individually and no problems at all. Now before I do something stupid again and rush to pick up either a new cpu or ram set, is there anything anyone can think of that would be the cause of this exciting problem I am having? I just don't understand why it would suddenly not work. I never did any overclocking past the xmp and game mode in bios, and i also updated to the latest bios to try and see if that was an issue but sadly nothing has helped. Any advice is greatly appreciated in advance.

OK so I know this problem has been posted a few time and I have checked them all (I think at least). I'm hoping I just missed something but here it goes.... I built my first pc about a year ago and had relatively no problems until now. The list of components is msi x570 carbon pro gaming wifi mobo, msi treo 2070 super GPS (choked the 3000 series came out right after 😞), g.skill 3600 8x2 ram F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX, w.d. black 1tb m.2 ssd, 8tb barracuda had, Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply, then case and rgb gimmicks etc. Everything was great, worked perfect for almost all games maxed out minus ray tracing, life was good.... then 2 weeks ago I turn on the living room TV (my monitor) and nothing solid black screen. So not too worried I just hard booted and sat down awaiting the same old startup, but it never came. I go back to the case and look in the glass side to see if anything stood out wrong and to my horror the cpu and ram post lights where on. So I did the first logical thing I could think of and interrogated my kids to find out who was messing with the thing.... After I did that and came to my senses that it wasn't them I scoured the internet for advice. So to keep from babbling any longer what I have discovered is that both ram stick will work the a2 slot independently but 2 installed and it won't post. I figured it was a bad slot and ran out to buy another msi x570 carbon gaming pro wifi mobo. Switched everything out, checked the cpu for any bent pins or leaked thermal compound and it was clean. Checked the ram sticks, gpu, hdd and ssd for any issues with a hand held microscope and everything looked fine. Tried to start her up again and same exact thing.... 🤬.... I just now completed the memtest program on each stick individually and no problems at all. Now before I do something stupid again and rush to pick up either a new cpu or ram set, is there anything anyone can think of that would be the cause of this exciting problem I am having? I just don't understand why it would suddenly not work. I never did any overclocking past the xmp and game mode in bios, and i also updated to the latest bios to try and see if that was an issue but sadly nothing has helped. Any advice is greatly appreciated in advance.
Check the motherboard manual that you have the sticks installed in the correct slots.

Govdubz

Reputable
May 7, 2020
Thank you for your reply, I have done so and checked on the mobo where it's printed.
update so I did go grab 2 more of the exact same model ram sticks and installed all 4 (first pair on 1b and 2b, new pair on 1a and 2a) and same thing happened. I took out the old ones and just put the new ones in and still the same thing. Is that conformation enough to say it's the processor or is there something I might be missing still? It's just so weird that after so long and poof, doesn't work. 😭

Thank you for your reply, I have done so and checked on the mobo where it's printed.
update so I did go grab 2 more of the exact same model ram sticks and installed all 4 (first pair on 1b and 2b, new pair on 1a and 2a) and same thing happened. I took out the old ones and just put the new ones in and still the same thing. Is that conformation enough to say it's the processor or is there something I might be missing still? It's just so weird that after so long and poof, doesn't work. 😭

It shows in the manual above 2 stick should be installed in slots A2 and B2

Govdubz

Reputable
May 7, 2020
So I have tried all ram sticks on the board in different configurations but can't seem to get past one stick.... is it possible the cpu is not working proper? Any way to test it? I pulled it off and no bent or broken pins but I did see just a tiny bit of thermal paste on the pin side of the cpu. Doesn't look like it touched the pins but is it possible for some have to leaked down into the spot where you insert the cpu and mess it up that way to this extent? If it did would it be possible to clean it? I'm just throwing ideas out there at this point, totally in the dark here....