Honey, I blew up the computer...

G

Hi, my name is Goose and my computer blew up today (what a day, huh?).

In fact, it wasn't the whole computer, just the PSU: 2 seconds after I turned it on, there was a flash coupled with a loud bang, then yellowish smoke started to come out of it...

I'm just wondering: Do these things normally happen to people, or is it just me? I mean, I could deal with my PSU just not working any more, but this was a little too dramatic for my taste! Also, does anybody know how chances are, that my entire system is fried now? Could the manufacturer of the PSU be held responsible for this?

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I doubt you would get any joy claiming damages from the PSU's manufacturer.

Obviously if the machine itself is under warranty you can get the whole thing sorted.

As to whether the rest of the system is damaged, depends entirely on what component blew in the PSU.

If the DC smoothing circuits worked when the PSU suffered electrical armageddon, and coped with any spikes or shorts, your expensive electronic items should be fine.

It is possible a fault on the motherboard caused the PSU to blow, however modern PSU's usually cope with this quite well.

These things are not 'normal'. During the past four years of building PC's, it has happened to me once. Unfortunately for me, when it did happen, it took out the hard drive, motherboard and CD-ROM!

Ah well, good luck.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If it's a really old computer, and there's a 2mm layer of dust on the interior components, then I can understand the problem. Had a tv go out the same way. Other than that, sounds like you'll be needing a new PSU, if not a new computer as well.

Damn electrons.