canubetrusted

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018
Hey Toms Hardware community. I have noticed suddenly my VR performance has gone from not great to horrendous regardless of whether there are a lot of background processes running. I have tried lowering settings so far. My game to test is Beat Saber but it is also very bad in performance in Oculus Home and Steam VR Home. My build is: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/user/Voidoz/saved/sGRCbv
Any Ideas?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I would check to make sure your SSD is not completely filled. Ideally, you'd want at least 20% free space.
Next I would probably consider removing the 2x4GB RAM kit and just run with the 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM kit. An update may have affected how well those two kits work together.

-Wolf sends

canubetrusted

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018
I would check to make sure your SSD is not completely filled. Ideally, you'd want at least 20% free space.
Next I would probably consider removing the 2x4GB RAM kit and just run with the 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM kit. An update may have affected how well those two kits work together.

-Wolf sends
I only added the ram on the day of the post (yesterday for me) in an attempt to solve the problem. As for the SSD it has more that 20% free space.

canubetrusted

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018
Unfortunately, I don't have Beat Saber, so I can't test it on my rig, which isn;t too dis-similar from yours. I'm only running Windows Defender as well, but I've not noticed any change in performance.

=Wolf sends
This happens to me in the Oculus Home so if you have a rift that would be the best example to test with. Beat Saber and Oculus Home performance are pretty much identical for me

canubetrusted

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018
Unfortunately, I can't run VRMark either as WMR is not supported. Not sure Steam even still offers the free version (Orange room only).

Go ahead and run the test and post your score. We could at least check against other systems.

https://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/vr+benchmark+desktop+score+orange+room+preset/version+1.0

-Wolf sends
You actually don't even need a headset to run VR Mark and there is still a demo. Weird thing happened when I ran the test... I got a great score of 7,940. I can't publish the scores since I am using the free version but I have screenshots here: View: https://imgur.com/a/r6NStW1

Also, I should mention that everything is running on my E: drive but in my defence, it used to run OK and is now suddenly running bad. I am going to put it on my SSD now. Oculus Home has been running in my C: drive the whole time though.

Last edited:

canubetrusted

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018
How is your headset connected to your USB ports? Are you using three USB 3,1 ports on your motherboard or some combination of USB 3/2.0 ports? You might want to try reinstalling the chipset drivers for your motherboard.

-Wolf sends
3.0 for the sensors and a red (so 3.1 I think) for the headset. I reinstalled the drivers and Oculus Home and Oculus games run fine. In fact, I am writing this part of the reply in Oculus Home Steam VR Home runs fine just not Beat Saber.

canubetrusted

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018
And your Steam Library is on your E: Drive?
Is it just Beat Saber or all games?

-Wolf sends
Yes but my most recent Beat Saber test was when it was on my C: drive. No difference. It is the only laggy game on the system and is also the only Steam VR game that I have used since the problem started. Steam VR Home runs perfectly. It may be a game update. I'll roll it back and see if anything changes.

EDIT: Rolling back did nothing.

Last edited: