Question Hosted Network - Dropping Connection Every 30 Seconds - 1min (disappears from list of networks, then comes back)

Jun 20, 2022
Edited my old issue for my new issue.

Hey guys - quick rundown, I use netsh wlan start hosted network in CMD as Admin to run my Hosted Network. I then turn on my ExpressVPN & Share my connection to the Hosted Network - this way allows me to play on NA servers late at night in the EU when ours are dead. Everything has been completely fine for months - until the passed week.
My issue now seems to have come after a recent windows update which stopped internet browsing from working while a hosted network was active - I have deleted that update but a new issue has persisted. My VPN & Hosted Network both have internet access and both are working, the issue I am having is that the connection doesn't last long at all. (30 seconds - 1min, drops and then unfindable on my console/phone, then it comes back, and repeat over and over).
I'm here today after asking on some other microsoft forum and he suggested I ask here, I don't know exactly what my issue is but I'd be willing to try anything related to firewall, registry or anything else.
I have fully restored my pc around 10 hours ago, and all my drivers and everything related are up to date. (those that came with the restore - I don't know if i need any additional drivers)?
One issue I seem to have which I don't know if it is part of the cause is 'netsh wlan show profiles' - nothing comes up when I do this, and before my WiFi card would show up because when I set up it months ago I ran this cmd netsh wlan set profileparameter name="WLAN-PROFILE-NAME" connectionmode=manual to stop my card from searching for wireless signals and just used it as my shared network only, I have ethernet for everything else. (I have tried the services method on wlan autoconfig - seems to turn my net off entire rather than just the searching for signals)?
Any ideas you guys can think of that I could try, or anybody encountered the same issues?

Last edited:
In the long run you might want to get a router to place in front of the PS5 to act as a dedicated VPN box.

The sharing function in windows is a pain it really was first put in to share a dialup internet connection with other machines in the house. It really has only had fairly minor improvements over all these years. It tends to have strange problems. Using it with a VPN is even harder.
VPN clients tend to be hard to configure even without the sharing.

My guess is it is some setting in the vpn client.

It is unlikely it is a DNS issue. You can test with the NSLOOKUP command.

What I would first do is try things like tracert 8.8.8.8 and see where your pc is sending the traffic. You should see your router IP directly as hop 1.

Jun 20, 2022
In the long run you might want to get a router to place in front of the PS5 to act as a dedicated VPN box.

The sharing function in windows is a pain it really was first put in to share a dialup internet connection with other machines in the house. It really has only had fairly minor improvements over all these years. It tends to have strange problems. Using it with a VPN is even harder.
VPN clients tend to be hard to configure even without the sharing.

My guess is it is some setting in the vpn client.

It is unlikely it is a DNS issue. You can test with the NSLOOKUP command.

What I would first do is try things like tracert 8.8.8.8 and see where your pc is sending the traffic. You should see your router IP directly as hop 1.

I have fixed my issue by just resetting my pc (annoying to do but I just did it anyway and saved everything I could with the options to keep files). It's fully working again now using my method, but it seems to keep searching for other networks, and when I do netsh wlan show profiles my pc isn't showing ANY profiles, when I have Ethernet, WiFi, TUN VPN driver showing in my Network Adapters, I think before I changed the WLAN mode on "WiFi" to =manual, but now I can't seem to do it because it's saying that it isn't a profile. (spelling is exact). Any ideas on this? Even changing it in services doesn't remove the list of networks I can cannot to, which before it fully turned off searching for wireless networks and was just used as my vpn sharing for console.

quick edit; the network searching issue seems to only be an issue on my phone, I haven't had time to fully check my console yet. But my phone will keep switching between my hosted network and my actual wireless connection, disabling this option on my PC stopped this before, but obviously it's not that big of a deal, since i'm just using my phone as a test while I'm not able to play my console atm. But it definitely did it on my PC before so it's pretty weird how I can't turn it to manual again and it's not showing as a profile to do so.