Question Hot swappable keyboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Hi,
I m tyred of weak keyboards with this cherry mx switchclone that last 4 month and then die so the question.
Some hot swappable keyboard?I mean full(104) and if possible ita layout, as cheap as possible but at the same type not trash, I mean 40+ is ok if is actually something that last the rest of my life, but not more then 80/90.
Asking this cause I come from a series of keyboards with otemu/romer G switch that die after 2/4 month.
I tryed the tyrfing v2 that is swppable, switch was really poor, then a logitech g413 tht was actually good with romer Gswitch, but keycaps broke and then the one I m writing on, an AOC GK500 that is starting to have problem with the (A) button and (U) as well.
As said I just want a swappable keybord full, so I can just buy a bunch of switches and change them with time and with any retro illumination(I prefer rgb but also 1 color is also ok), on amazon cause I feel more safe there, nation ITA or just EU is good anyway
I thanks everyone will help me

Solution
Many of the Cherry MX based keyboards you seem to have trouble with are very much repairable. They aren't hot-swappable though, just need to have the deck opened so you can replace a whole key. Sometimes they are soldered on, sometimes they are just held down by the deck and are in sockets.

There is a whole world of custom mechanical keyboards. Not sure where you should start, but you should know the cost of entry is generally very high.

Here are some off the shelf ones to consider.

And build it yourself style ones:

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately, few products are now made to "last forever".

And even if so that is all likely undone by poor quality materials and the end manufacturing process itself.

With little or no quality control or inspection. Documention (as applicable) often poorly written and illustrated. With lots of hard to read warnings and other caveats.

The monies instead spend on colorful advertising about how great the product is - also accompanied by lots of small print.

The trend is very much replace versus repair and reuse. Wasteful indeed.

Designed in EOL (End of Life) is easily engineered in these times.

Some products will last longer if treated well and properly cared for.

Keyboards, by their very nature and purpose take a beating in many environments. Even industrial grade keyboards can break for any number of reasons.

I have 50 year old tools that are just fine. Newer tools break, crack, corrode or otherwise prove deficient and/or defective. Sometimes after just a few uses. Had that just happen with a new "quick change" drill bit.
Even once good product lines can and do become substandard or otherwise lose the quality and the value they once deserved.

To help, all I can suggest is to continue doing more reading and research. Look for current product reviews, read the User Guides and Manuals, check product Forums and FAQs. Pay attention to not only what is said but to "what is not said" as well. Then again all the details and proverbial fine print.

Plus someone else may be able to suggest a keyboard that will serve. As for "cheap as possible" how much are you willing to spend?

Noted 40+ and 80/90. Are those values US dollars, Euros, or some other currency? I think Euro per your reference to IT. Unfortunately I do not have (full disclosure) any sense of how much keyboards generally cost in Europe so will defer to others with such knowledge. Or what keyboard lines are readily avialable for purchase.

Bear in mind that swappable keys/switches may, and probably will, add more to the longer term costs.

Especially if switches that originally worked get "discontinued" and prices go up. And any replacement switch options are low quality third party products.) Beware of "compatible with".

Simplify your requirements to what really matters and go from there.

Do not let cosmetics get in the way.. The real requirement is a keyboard that feels comfortable to your touch and functions well with what you expect from the keyboard. All 104 keys.

And objectively manages to last barring mistreatment and harsh environments. Not a keyboard with pretty colors and/or some some particular color that would be "ok".

Just my thoughts on the matter.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Unfortunately, few products are now made to "last forever".

And even if so that is all likely undone by poor quality materials and the end manufacturing process itself.

With little or no quality control or inspection. Documention (as applicable) often poorly written and illustrated. With lots of hard to read warnings and other caveats.

The monies instead spend on colorful advertising about how great the product is - also accompanied by lots of small print.

The trend is very much replace versus repair and reuse. Wasteful indeed.

Designed in EOL (End of Life) is easily engineered in these times.

Some products will last longer if treated well and properly cared for.

Keyboards, by their very nature and purpose take a beating in many environments. Even industrial grade keyboards can break for any number of reasons.

I have 50 year old tools that are just fine. Newer tools break, crack, corrode or otherwise prove deficient and/or defective. Sometimes after just a few uses. Had that just happen with a new "quick change" drill bit.
Even once good product lines can and do become substandard or otherwise lose the quality and the value they once deserved.

To help, all I can suggest is to continue doing more reading and research. Look for current product reviews, read the User Guides and Manuals, check product Forums and FAQs. Pay attention to not only what is said but to "what is not said" as well. Then again all the details and proverbial fine print.

Plus someone else may be able to suggest a keyboard that will serve. As for "cheap as possible" how much are you willing to spend?

Noted 40+ and 80/90. Are those values US dollars, Euros, or some other currency? I think Euro per your reference to IT. Unfortunately I do not have (full disclosure) any sense of how much keyboards generally cost in Europe so will defer to others with such knowledge. Or what keyboard lines are readily avialable for purchase.

Bear in mind that swappable keys/switches may, and probably will, add more to the longer term costs.

Especially if switches that originally worked get "discontinued" and prices go up. And any replacement switch options are low quality third party products.) Beware of "compatible with".

Simplify your requirements to what really matters and go from there.

Do not let cosmetics get in the way.. The real requirement is a keyboard that feels comfortable to your touch and functions well with what you expect from the keyboard. All 104 keys.

And objectively manages to last barring mistreatment and harsh environments. Not a keyboard with pretty colors and/or some some particular color that would be "ok".

Just my thoughts on the matter.
well, thanks for the answare but I think you took this to much literal, what I was meaning was that I m searching a keyboard that don t brake in like 2 month or 1 year, I ws thinking about 5 years.
Then for the switch, from aliexpres they sell like 200 switch for 10e, so it s cheap I think.
Anyway I don t know the models so I cn t really serch for reviews, I was serching someone that know some models.
Backlights is not for style but for write during night time, just for that

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
I am still using keyboards from 6 years ago when I bought my secondary pc. My main pc has a just over 2 years on it of daily use (12 plus hours a day, work from home so never leave the office).

Be careful of what you buy, cheap knockoffs are just that, cheap, and knockoffs.

Reactions: Nighthawk117

Ralston18

Titan
@LORYT699

Fair enough. I touch type and do not necessarily need lighting.

As for 5 years - that may be more of a warranty thing versus reality.

Lots of caveated fine print in most warranties.

Regarding "cheap" that can be useful but is often subjectively determined. May well be that swapping in new switches is an economical/practical approach. However only you can decide that.

Plus there may be others following this thread who may choose to comment accordingly.

Or make more specific keyboard suggestions.

= = = =

My keyboards are generally wireless Logitech K540's purchased with a mouse as a set.

Biggest problem being that the keyboard lettering quickly wears off.

Not a problem for me per se but other keyboard users have problems without all of the lettering.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Many of the Cherry MX based keyboards you seem to have trouble with are very much repairable. They aren't hot-swappable though, just need to have the deck opened so you can replace a whole key. Sometimes they are soldered on, sometimes they are just held down by the deck and are in sockets.

There is a whole world of custom mechanical keyboards. Not sure where you should start, but you should know the cost of entry is generally very high.

Here are some off the shelf ones to consider.

And build it yourself style ones:

Solution

tecmo34

Administrator

Your budget will be a key, as my last keyboard was close to $300 without keycaps and switches included, so they can get very pricey! There are options under $100 that are good too.

It sounds like you are looking for 100% keyboard layout versus say 75% (or 80%) or 96% Layouts? These just narrow down your search when you go full 100% keyboard .

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Please note that I abuse my keyboards a lot.

I m tyred of weak keyboards with this cherry mx switchclone that last 4 month and then die so the question.
Some hot swappable keyboard?I mean full(104) and if possible ita layout, as cheap as possible but at the same type not trash, I mean 40+ is ok if is actually something that last the rest of my life, but not more then 80/90.
I'm afraid that's a pipe dream.

Asking this cause I come from a series of keyboards with otemu/romer G switch that die after 2/4 month.
For the Romer G keyboard I've used (three G810 keyboards), all the switches have lasted for at least 2 years of heavy use. The last one I used I had used for 3 years, I gave it to my nephew who has now used it for 2 years - and still no problems whatsoever. The other two I used for a couple of years at home and at work, then gave them to friends, when the G915 came out. On one of them the ESC keycap broke, because we removed it and was careless when we re-inserted it.

As said I just want a swappable keybord full, so I can just buy a bunch of switches and change them with time and with any retro illumination(I prefer rgb but also 1 color is also ok), on amazon cause I feel more safe there, nation ITA or just EU is good anyway
I thanks everyone will help me
I can not fulfill your request within the price range that you want. And the keyboard that fulfills your requirement, that I would recommend, ie. easy to replace switches, is not available on amazon. The keyboard that I just received has the most easy to replace mechanical switches I've tried so far. It's a Wooting Two HE:

I am currently testing it, and may create a review later. Some models have lose switches, and should be RMA'd ASAP, but the model I got seems to be ok.

The longest lasting keyboard I've owned was the IBM Model M Keyboard. It is very noisy, but resists extreme abuse. But it does not have hot-swappable switches. I used it for approximately 10 years, and it still worked when I stopped using it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.