House pre-wired for ethernet, how do I get it all setup.

Apr 27, 2018
House is currently pre-wired for Ethernet, most rooms have an Ethernet port labeled "data" at the top of them but obviously don't work atm. My current modem and router are setup in the office which is the only Ethernet port that actually works.

Here are some pictures:

11ruc6b.jpg

x6iqzq.jpg

148di00.jpg

2mhdh61.jpg

I am not entirely sure what to do, may need a guide for dummy's type of format.. haha

Solution
well in simplest terms it should be modem > router > network switch/patch panel > ports in each room.

Since I see Coax cables in the last picture I'm assuming that's the main patch panel. But I see it's also spliting the Coax cables too.

Do the rooms have ports for Ethernet and Coax (cable) also possibly regular telephone ports as well?
well in simplest terms it should be modem > router > network switch/patch panel > ports in each room.

Since I see Coax cables in the last picture I'm assuming that's the main patch panel. But I see it's also spliting the Coax cables too.

Do the rooms have ports for Ethernet and Coax (cable) also possibly regular telephone ports as well?

Solution
In order to know whether these blue cables are really Ethernet cables, you need to do two things:
- somewhere on the cable, there should be a marking like CAT5, CAT5e etc.
- Other end of these cabels should go to CAT5/CAT5e "keystone" jack in the rooms;

Make a close-up photo of the connectors, I can't see what colors are the wires, and how they are crimped in.

Yeah I'm concerned about that too as the patch panel says "telephone out" on it.

edit: crap just as I'm typing this I found that panel. It is a telephone panel not an Ethernet panel. https://www.legrand.us/onq/structured-wiring/voice-distribution/voice-modules/tm1045.aspx

Apr 27, 2018

Yea, so most rooms have Ethernet and Coax, and also Regular port.
There are some rooms that have varying two out of the three though.

kanewolf

Titan
The picture with the battery is probably some kind of alarm system.

The blue cables in the bundle with the coax look like they are set for data cables. The ones plugged into the junction are phone.

You need to get your ISP connected to that box. Either by a coax from outside or an ethernet from outside. Then you would configure it as @why_wolf said with ISP -> modem -> router -> switch (optional) -> rooms.