[SOLVED] How (and is it safe to) to install new drivers to my components

Dec 29, 2018
So my computer has some old specs and I am pretty sure the only drivers I have ever updated are the gpu ones (1050ti). When I go to device manager and click on the cpu let's say, it shows me that there are drivers available. I guess what I am asking is this: Is there a tool or smth that I can use to see if my components need new drivers? Also is there any chance that if I update some driver (e.g mobo or smth) there will be compatibility issues? Lastly, should I expect any performance difference?

Thank you for reading!

Solution
You can usually download your CPU/Motherboard drivers directly from the motherboard manufacturers site.

Don't use driver programs, they install a lot of garbage onto your system that will cause issues. It's essentially like downloading malware onto your system intentionally.

Lastly do you need those drivers? I've always believed "Don't fix what isn't broken".

WildCard999

Titan
You can usually download your CPU/Motherboard drivers directly from the motherboard manufacturers site.

Don't use driver programs, they install a lot of garbage onto your system that will cause issues. It's essentially like downloading malware onto your system intentionally.

Lastly do you need those drivers? I've always believed "Don't fix what isn't broken".

Solution
Dec 29, 2018
So like for the mobo I'm guessing it's kinda tricky (with the bios and all that). However on the CPU side I'm guessing it is safer? All I want to do is squeeze out as much performance as I can I guess. Anyway thank you for your reply!

Theresa N

Admirable
Dec 10, 2019
I actually have the opposite approach, I tend to install all new drivers. They are constantly getting rid of bugs and improving performance. If the new driver has untoward effects, I simply roll back to the previous one. I think there is more of a problem with drivers that don't keep up with hardware and operating system changes.

D

Deleted member 14196

If everything is working then leave it alone there’s no reason to replace drivers if everything is working fine

What you probably need is new hardware