[SOLVED] How bad of a bottleneck would this be?

BunnyK

Prominent
Dec 27, 2019
I have an old computer that i want to turn into an HTPC, that would also do some light gaming. The cpu in that computer is an A8-5500 apu, and i was thinking of buying the cheapest gpu at my local store and sticking it in there. The gpu i aws looking at is a GTX 1650, and i was wondering how bad the bottleneck on it would be from the cpu. the motherboard is an ASUS F2A55-M/CSM and if i have to upgrade my cpu, i would rather not upgrade my motherboard too.

Solution
It depends on your games.
If you play fast action games then a stronger graphics card can do some good.
But, for a HTPC your integrated graphics should do the job.
Try this simplistic test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics adapter loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

There is no useful cpu upgrade you can make without also changing out the motherboard an ddr4 ram.
It depends on your games.
If you play fast action games then a stronger graphics card can do some good.
But, for a HTPC your integrated graphics should do the job.
Try this simplistic test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics adapter loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

There is no useful cpu upgrade you can make without also changing out the motherboard an ddr4 ram.

Solution

BunnyK

Prominent
Dec 27, 2019
In the context of an HTPC, zero "bottleneck".

It would play movies and music just fine.

Introducing a better part (the GPU) does not make the system run slower.
i know that... i said i want to do some light gaming with it(1080p, 60 hz, so no mroe than 100fps needed on med settings) i am asking how much the bottleneck ON the gpu is, BY the cpu